Eight

My heart froze, my insides stopped working for a brief moment as soon as the duke revealed himself through the thick large doors. I made the wrong decision to release my honesty and most definitely at the wrong time. The duke was now only meters away from where me and William were at. I turn towards William but saw nothing of fear or shock by the look on his expression, he was guarded. It was only his eyes that let him down with a slight visible concern showing in-between.

Both me and William said nothing as the duke came fuming into the room further and looked as though he was about to explode with rage, he did nothing that give us a hint of him talking first which made William stand and stride towards him. If I wasn't so caught up trying to calm my heart down even the slightest for it to lower the volume, maybe, just maybe I would have heard his loud heavy footsteps barging and loud husky voice if he were to shout at the guards when dealing with the same thing I had dealt with.

"No! I will not have this imposter in this house!" He shouted, talking to William but looking directly at me through raged eyes. "She is to be out this house by morning, nothing more!" With that he head out the room with smoke probably coming out his ears.

William turned to look at me, with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, I'll try to calm him down." He said as he also left the room following after him. I could only still sit in the chair, because I know my knees are wobbly and weak due to this situation.

The only words that came out my mouth knowing that the whole plan is ruined in the quiet, silent, empty room were: "What have I done?" In a low whisper that even the guards couldn't hear through the two opened doors. I rushed out the door and ran to my room, not caring about the guards expression when the bile has already made its way to my throat.

Hours had passed since my last occurrence with both William and the duke. I couldn't help but pace in my room for the remaining time until I get executed or locked in the dungeon for years, thinking of another possibility to try and escape because plan or no plan, it's situations like this that you have to fear. A knock came at my door but that didn't stop me from pacing.

"Heard what happened. Seems like you've hit the top notch, Eden." A male voice chuckled. I turn round to see who it belonged to and found Michael leaning on the door, smiling with his arms crossed. "Didn't know you had it in you." He continued.

"What are you doing here?" I said, trying my best to keep my voice calm instead of shaking viciously, but failing miserably.

"Thought you could use some help." Help? What was he even talking about? I don't want the least bit of help especially from someone who knows my name but doesn't know I'm Williams fiancé, I didn't know there was a lower rank than being an idiot.

"But of course I know you." He said, eyebrow raised. I cursed myself for saying that out loud unknowingly and began pacing the room once again.

"Can you please just leave, I don't have the time-"

"No time for help? You and I both know that if there is no help right this moment, your future along with millions of others is ruined." He turned, opening the door. "But if you insist on not wasting my time with you and everyone else's trouble than that's fine by me."

"Wait!" I shouted at him, before he could step outside. He was right, if now isn't the time, there never will be another opportunity for me to take and finish what the duke had started.

"Just say the word and I'll be of assistance." He stated, smirk reaching the corner of his lips. I didn't utter a word, if I was going to need his help, he would need to know about everything. But how can I trust him so easlily? For all I know he could be helping the duke and there's no doubt that he does work for him. "Hurry and say it out straight because I notice the duke's on his way here right now with people I'm sure you're not to like." My eyes widened at his words and I involuntary turned to peak out the doors to find what he's saying was true. The duke looked furious despite it being hours after that incident. There were two muscular guards by his sides but further behind him, making him look superior. I guess his talk with William didn't go so well judging that he wasn't visible to sight at all. How could it end like this? At the very least I could have found something to use against him or find out about what he's working on but I guess I'm useless at this thing.