Eleven

"Loosen those weights on your shoes, mate!" Ferlando said to Michael and I smiled in spite of my slow pace. I did feel a plunge of guilt due to the fact that Michael took these beatings, but I could tell he wouldn't take it back for the world. He seemed to think of it as a reminder of how he beat the duke almost senseless.

We ran up the wooden steep steps to the roof but it seemed to take forever; the ache in our legs were clearly noticeable and Michael seemed to take it worse than any of us. There was no chance that we could have made it in the main entrance and exit, it was hoarded with the dukes own army of men. There were only four of us whilst there were a hundred of them. The duke seems to have taken things overboard with the security measures. Maybe William was was right, the duke would now be guaranteed a hundred percent of protection and the security measures would be rise off the charts.

I didn't even have the time to process what he had said in the duke's office, when suddenly Ferlando barged in and introduced himself to everyone in the room with a beaming smirk on his rough face. I admit, I was scared at first due to his sudden positive and strange levels of his happy meter but soon found out that he was on our side. He must be the 'they' that Michael had talked about in the dungeons.

I heard the click of the handle of a door and forgot the ache in my legs as my pace increased. Looking upwards to find that we have finally reached the top floor, I looked down at the swirling sight of wooden stairs and suddenly become dizzy yet a feeling of relief rushed through me at the knowledge of my foot on the last steep stair. I ran through the door and followed the others to their home.

Suddenly I felt a plunge of sadness. Will I ever be at home? Is my home anywhere but at some strangers house, whom of which are trying to save the world? I encouraged myself to stop thinking and I was lucky to even meet them. I wouldn't have to go through this by myself, there are others around me, thousands of others I probably have not met yet, and they'll all aspire the same thing as I do: save the world from anymore sickening and woeful rules set by anyone, especially the duke.

"They're closing in!" One dark haired boy and olive toned skin said, by the edge of the roof.

Ferlando looked down with sensational eyes, and within a second his head shot back up at him. "Drop 'em down, boy!" He shouted. I stood there gaping at them, wondering how in the world we're going to escape from this roof! I've only ever been on the ground, not even had set a foot on a second level of the mansion. I looked over to Michael to see him pulling out a couple of green patterned spherical objects. He seemed to pull something and throw it to the floor, then threw the spherical object down at the enemy. Within seconds it looked as though it hit the floor, as a loud explosion set in, causing the vibrating thunder of the ground. I stood with wide gaping eyes. He had gotten hold of grenades!?

Whilst Ferlando, Michael and the boy were shouting instructions at each other, I leaped from my position and grabbed a hold of my long fabric, tearing it slightly so I wouldn't be at risk for tripping over. Nobody needs to worry about looking good in this situation, they seems short on people and I was ready to join in. Surely they would allow such a thing, they wanted the girls to be free of the schools anyway.

I ran to Michael, seeing as Ferlando and the boy had managed to settle success with the enemy who were now holding guns against us. I don't know how the heck they did it, but they did. That's all that had mattered. Michael was struggling, his injuries taking over. He looked inside his bag but it was empty due to the look on his face. I looked over the roof and saw the hoard of men with guns in their hands, both the duke and William weren't visible to sight. The wreck of equipment were pretty obvious due to Michael's aims of the recent thrown grenades.

"Um, Michael? How long have you been here?" I asked with concern, still looking over the edge.

"Three years of heaven. Why?" He said sarcastically.