Ten

My heart pauses my blood turns cold as I slowly turn to the direction of the long-lost forgotten voice. The hairs in my arms started to rise and I couldn't seem to think of anything to explain my actions. William stood by the edge of the couch, looking at me in confusion and awe. His lips seems to have a large cut where the blood has dried off from there and my heart flutters. It could be the dukes actions as punishment. What am supposed to say? How can I say the truth without hurting him any further? No word comes out of my mouth for a full-minute, that's when he started talking.

"What are you doing here? Forgive me if this sounds rude, but shouldn't you be back inside the cell?" He said in a quiet voice to prevent anyone overhearing.

He said it ever so politely but I see the way he winces slightly at every word, as if it pained him due to the cut. I looked down in shame as I have only came here to get what I need, and not visit him to check his safety. After all his father may hate his as much as to kill and torture him.

"Eden." He starts walking towards me and I take a step back, but ending up in failure as the door blocks my path.

"I'm sorry." I blurted outs quickly without looking him in those pain and concerned eyes.

"What?" He said in his deep soft voice.

"I'm sorry I started all this, I never intended any of this and I can only hope I don't bring bad luck anywhere else I go. I'm sorry I couldn't make it any better and only crossed the limit that I had to go in the dungeons for even when I acknowledged that fact and I'm so very sorry you're in pain and being punished all because of me."

"Eden-"

"You don't deserve this and trust me I can't seem to be in enough guilt as it already is. I promise if there is a next time I will repay you. I promise I won't jinx you or anyone anymore and will try all I can to bring this problem to an end and you don't have to forgive me if you don't want to I know I don't deserve it and I promise I won't tell anyone else what you told me-"

"Eden." I look up with a slight jolt when I realize the shortened distance between us. He looks even worse from close up and I spot two bruises just below his cheekbone. The must have beaten him brutally. My heart sank even more deeply at the thought that he's gone through all his punishments because of me. "And I thought you were good in English." A slight smirk reached his lips.

I was utterly confused. "What?" I said as my brows furrowed in puzzlement.

"You mentioned almost a ton of 'and's' in that apology." He smiled genuinely, and I felt myself calm down. "What are you doing here? " he said. It took me a while to answer but I suddenly realized that Michael was still holding back the men and I don't have much time left.

"I'm sorry, but I have something to do." I said nervously, my eyes fixed to the ground. I shifted my weight onto my other foot as I realized he wasn't responding. Slowly my eyes rose, taking in his strong lean figure and buttoned white shirt. My heart raced as I finally reached his face, where his deep ocean blue eyes were looking right at me, if not, then right through me. How much I missed those eyes. His face was paler than usual, I don't know if it was because of what I said or if it was due to the punishment but I gulped the guilt down and leveled with him, wanting no more to waste time and put me and Michael's lives in danger.

I stepped to the side and passed him, heading to my previous worn dress. I searched the inside and felt a hard object. Right then my hopes rose. Maybe we will be able to change the world for the better, no more trapped girls, they will all be able to grow up with their families and live a happy life, like they all used to. I ripped that part of the fabric and the key plummeted to the ground. I reached for it and finally it was in my arms, we will be able to do this once and for all.