Four

"Eden, number 27." That was enough to startle the breath out of me. The speakers were loud enough as it is. Every single girl they called forth only contained a number and their forename. Schooled girls are banned to surnames until they are collected, when they then carry their husband's-to-be surname afterwards.

I looked at Ferlous and Loa, and gave them a reassuring smile, they in return gave me a pitiful expression and continued murmuring to each other that everything will be okay, trying to convince themselves that the screams won't happen to them on stage. And I went through the curtains, bracing myself for whatever stands before me.

It wasn't how I expected it, instead of a stage, there was a room. A small room to that matter, the floor was paved by pure white tiles and plain white wallpaper overspread the walls. There was no furniture, except a seat similar to a lay-back chair, with a single heart monitor machine by its side.

Someone came in with a lab coat on. Are they going to experiment on me? Was that what all the screaming was about? What about the laughter and the applause that I had heard often?

The man smiled and gestured for me to lie on the chair. I wanted to tell him what will happen to me but then I had to take into consideration that the collectors are watching me. So I obeyed. The chair was warm under my touch. Maybe because the girls lay in this very position, doing whatever they were doing causing the screams, laughter or applause that had been heard.

"Okay, now listen carefully; I'm not hoping to repeat this." He said, eyes on the heart monitor machine, trying to set it with bits of wires stuck to me. "Whatever you see is a round of tests. They, unfortunately," he stopped fussing and met my eyes. His hair was grey with bits of silver sparking in the light. His eyes were a warm, inviting brown colour behind his glasses. He wore a sad, almost pitying expression. "Everything in these tests will be real."

I blink a few times, stupidly, trying to access what he said. Before I try to open my mouth demanding for more information, everything goes dark. I found myself in a different place from where I met the lab coat man; it was nothing like what I had seen before when I entered the huge building for The Collection.

I was in the middle of the street. And I wasn't alone. There were dead bodies surrounding me. My heart hammered against my ribs. My eyes widened. A dizzy feeling filled through me. What's happening? Where am I? My hand rose to my mouth, covering it fully, so I wouldn't have a chance to scream when many royals are watching me. I remembered what the old man said: 'Everything in these tests, will be real.'

Tears covered my eyes. Oh my god. Oh my god! I head to the other direction where there weren't as many dead bodies as the other, and ran, my long beautiful gown, flapping against my bare legs underneath when running, narrowing my length of every step. I wanted so desperately to rip it to my knees, similar to Sophie; instead I grab a handful of the fabric of my gown and lift it as high as possible for me to run at the same time.

I ran, and didn't stop running until I knew for sure the dead bodies were nowhere in my sight. Tears rushed down my cheeks in groups. I felt like a stupid coward. I am a stupid coward. What was I even running from? Why am I being like this? This isn't even me! But this test is real. Then that means I am me and I'm real. What about my body? The one I left behind in my lay-back chair? There must be a solution for this test to come to an end, to succeed this test.

I stopped on my tracks and gasped for air. The tears were now slowing down, but they did not come to an end. I closed my eyes thinking back to Martha, how much she wants to see me again. And I will. Once I have my freedom I will run away with Martha to our families. My eyes opened voluntary, knowing that I cannot-no, I will not run away. I remember the plan to get collected by the duke. And that's what I will make happen. No matter what I have to deal with. I will succeed.