Five

I wake on the lay-back chair. Relieved I've made it through the rounds. But instead of getting up or trying to undo the wires on me, I just stare at the ceiling, motionless.

"You okay, sweetheart?" I turned my head to find the old man with a document in hand, looking at me with sad eyes. I get up and glare at him.

"What happened? What do you mean the tests were real?" My voice was toneless, I was expressionless.

"Is this about . . . what was her name? Marta?"I didn't bother tell him that I wanted him to explain in the first place.

"Martha." I corrected. He nodded.

"Yes, yes her." He looked at me. "This is about her isn't it?" I threw my hands in the air and laid it back down to my side, laughed foolishly. Choked sounds escaped through me, mixing with my disappearing laughter.

"It's about everything!" By the time I said this, tears were running down my cheeks. I wiped them with my wrists thinking that I have been crying too much this week. I haven't even cried this much with the locked up years combined in school.

"Sweetie, it had to be done." I looked at him, what did he mean? "You can't live your life as a wife knowing that you have someone you care about more than your husband." He said, still continuing to ignore my glare. "Your husband must be your number one priority." He finished. So that's why Miss Audrey wouldn't let us become so close with each other at school? The thought sickened me.

I looked down at my hand, the one that held the knife. So this was it? The person you care about most appears in the test? Please, do it for me. Her words painfully snap in my ears. And I came to a decision, one that I won't go back to.

"Good, that's taken care of now. Come on, they're really excited you know." I wanted to slap him, really I did, but my plans were more important than my brutal urges.

He helped me undo the wires and rested a hand onto my back so I won't stagger when getting up. I couldn't feel my hands nor my feet. "There were other girls who also made it to round three, but unfortunately couldn't complete it. You are the first." He sounded proud and pleased. I didn't care; I just wanted to get this over with. But if what he's saying is true, then that means I have a greater chance that I might be chosen by the duke.

I heard the chatter a moment later, nearing me the further I walked with the old man, away from the white room. It was then that I realised I was on stage, where I saw the noblemen, and the duke.

By the time I was at the centre. The old man beside me wished me luck and left. I stood there, not knowing what to do as some noblemen had their eyes set on me with others watching the girls next to them, the girls. I saw one particular girl, near the front in her dark blue gown. Delia. She looked uncomfortable. I watched the other girls who had the same sad regretful expression. Was it because they too had to kill the person they cared about?

My mind eased when I spot the old man return. I didn't want to be held in the spotlight for all to see. By the time the old man stood beside me, he held several small papers in his hands. He looked at each individual paper and looked at me, shocked, then at the crowd. I knew he was looking at someone in particular but I couldn't find out who. The old man cleared his throat and raised the papers.

"The collector of Eden will be," he paused. So this was how to collect girls, to make a vote? I ignored the beat of my heart as I looked back at the crowd. Trying to find someone I hoped to see. I sighed, I shouldn't be this hopeful. That's what I thought until I saw a movement from the left direction. I stared at him.

He was there. Ethan Hartley. He had no one by his side. Of course he wouldn't, he too didn't like the idea of The Collection. I flushed back at the thought that he had to see me expose myself. I was about to look away saving myself from the embarrassment, until he gave me a reassuring smile. He looked . . . gorgeous. His dark brown hair now looked black in the dark and his amazing green eyes with a paint of yellow remained as they were the first time I saw him, standing out.