Chapter THIRTEEN: The Safehouse

Start from the beginning

You swallow, reigning your rage back in.. Mostly because his use of the word 'baby' has reminded you of the hurt he has caused, "So, it was all a lie then? How am I supposed to believe your promises now, Archie?"

Tears prick at the corner of your eyes and you try to hide them by brushing them away quickly as you set your coffee down on the side table...

He shoots to his feet rushing to your side before he sinks to his knees beside the bed, his warm hands finding yours, intertwining your fingers, "Honey, No.. It wasn't a lie, how I feel about you-- that isn't a lie."
He takes a steadying breath..
If you didn't know any better you'd say he was nervous.. But that couldn't be right?..
He blows out a breath, "Listen, I know I fucked this whole thing up, but-- I've never done this before, baby. I've never compromised a mission like this.. I just.. I couldn't stay away from you.."

You're still for a moment, watching each other, his sweet words having chipped away at your anger, though not yet fully satiating it..

You pull your hands from his as you recoil, angling your upper body away finding it too difficult to stay mad at that beautiful face, "I--I don't even know your name.."

He pushes up from the floor, running a hand back through his hair and looking down at you, "Yes, you do.. My name is Archer West.. As for the rest.. Well, I'm an undercover intelligence operative, investigating the murder of Alex Carrington.. Among other things."
He states everything so matter-of-factly.. It sounds utterly absurd, but at the same time, it makes so much sense..

"You're a spook?" The word feels silly coming from your mouth..

He shrugs, "I guess some people would call it that.. I'm a private contractor, I go where I'm needed most.."

"You're a mercenary.." You swallow nervously, prodding for clarification, "The military.. You said you were a 'Snake Eater'.. What is that?"

He nods, "Ah, I was Special Forces.. Once I got out, Iris was fast to recruit me at Specter.. I've been running black-ops ever since.. "

"Oh.." You hum, suddenly the hardness in his character you couldn't identify earlier becomes crystal clear.. This man is dangerous.. Deadly.
A lethal weapon of a beast, stands at your bedside..

You remember his cold demeanour during your first meeting weeks ago in Alex's office.. But you also remember the heat of your fist kiss.. That couldn't be fake.. It felt so real.. "When we met.. You-- You--" Your voice trails of, unsure if you actually want to hear his explanation.. The truth can't be unknown once you know it and Alez always used to tell you that honesty can a weapon in the wrong hands..

You can't help but wonder if this is what he meant..

"I already knew who you were." He begins pacing back and forth, tension radiating from him like a caged animal.. "Honestly.. I acted like an asshole.. Because I hadn't ruled you out as a suspect. Your asset file, it had a lot of gaps in it.. Unaccounted years.. Alex refused to keep intel on you so I couldn't be sure you could be trusted.. You were an unknown and I didn't want to-- Become invested."

He pauses and glances at you..
What does he mean 'invested'?..  And what does he mean he has a file on you?! That's just insane..

"My file?" You feel unsettled by the idea of him digging into your life.. Into your past..

You had come from nothing, from the middle of nowhere.. Truthfully, Alex should never have given you a chance.. But somehow, for some reason you'll never understand, he has something in you..

Archer resumes pacing and continues, "Your file described you as an orphan, with no family connections.. Not much else about your history or former life before moving to the city.. You spend all your time at work, not a whole lot of socialising, like other people your age.."

"Don't you mean OUR age.." You quip since he couldn't be more than a few years your senior..

He ignores your jab with a slight frown, "And, Alex's last will and testament, appointed you as the CEO of Carrington Corp.. You have to admit, that's a pretty damming motive.."

"Motive?" Your jaw drops, you can't believe it.. Alex left his entire multi-million dollar empire, to you.. "He named me?!.. But I thought--"

You choke up a little, but it's okay because Archer is still talking, "I'm not Alex's son, Honey.. We're not even related.. Specter doctored the paperwork so I could have access to everything my investigation would require."

Your thoughts churn and turn as a million questions whiz through your mind, you latch on to the first one you can , "So then,  Iris isn't your mother?"

"No.. She's my boss." He replies simply with a one shouldered shrug..

You remember how much her kindness had meant to you at Alex's funeral.. Now that whole encounter feels hollow and fake to you.. Just more empty promises and lies..
"She said she wanted to be my friend, at Alex's funeral.. I feel so dumb, god, I actually believed her.."  You tilt your head back with a bitter huff, embarrassed.

He looks a little stunned, crossing to sit next to you on the bed, "She really said that?"

He places two fingers beneath your chin, gently tipping you head up to look into his adoring eyes. "Hey, I've never known Iris to be the sentimental type.. But I know she and Alex were very close.. So, if she said it, she must have meant it."

You close your eyes, leaning into the warm touch of his hand as he moves to cup your cheek..

"I can understand exactly why she would say that though.."
His voice drops low sending a shiver down your spine, you open your eyes to look up at him and see the adoration in his glowing jade gaze.. "God-Damn, Honey.. You're incredible.. You're beautiful, sweet, kind, smart, funny.. You're impossible to resist.." His voice strains, "I know because I tried.. But I can't fight it.. I don't even want to.."

His pleading eyes search yours, hopefully, "Honey?.. Please baby, say something.."