Chapter FIVE: The Surprise

Honey Sinclaire

You are seated in a large formal sitting room with the rest of the will-reading attendees after being led through the ornate halls of the enormous estate home.

The first face you recognise in the room is Samantha Parker, Head of Marketing at Carrington Corp.. You give her little wave, and she looks puzzled by your presence before quickly waving back and turning to whisper to the shy, geeky looking man next to her, who's name you can't remember.. But you've seen him before, at the office..

You can't hear what the two saying but it seems heated.. Sam is obviously upset with her companion..

Archer and Iris distract you by insisting you join them on the center sofa and seat themselves either side of you. You feel warmth radiating from Archer pressed next to you.. You have a to squeeze your crossed thighs tighter, trying to suppress the desiring ache you are beginning to feel from sitting so close..

"Good morning everybody," A no nonsense, middle-aged man with a dapper appearance enters the room and a hush falls over the group, "I'm Garrett Reynolds, Alex's attorney.. We're all here for the reading of the last will and testament of Alex Jacob Carrington."

"Aye, Garrett, we all know what we're doin' 'ere, get-on-wit-it!" A cute guy, with sandy blond hair and mischievous blue eyes calls out from the back corner of the room in a melodious, cheery Irish accent, causing a murmured chuckle to ripple through the space..

"Patrick.." Archer barks the man's name and shakes his head twice, Patrick's grin drops immediately and he nods once respectfully..

Garrett, completely ignoring them both and continues on.. He begins by listing various items and possessions, delegating them to their new owners before moving on to do the same with Alex's extensive property portfolio.."And the final property, Mr Carringtons Uptown penthouse is willed to.. Miss Honey Rose Sinclaire."

You freeze in shock.. There is no way he just said what you think he said, "I--I beg your pardon, Mr Reynolds?"

Iris practically squeals, "The penthouse! Honey, Alex left you his favorite apartment!" She beams, seeming genuinely happy for you.. But it all feels so wrong.. You don't want Alex's apartment.. You don't want money or possessions.. You just want Alex.. "I don't know what to say.. Its too much.."

You feel the dam of your emotions waver and you blink rapidly to fight back tears when Archer, in a surprisingly sweet move, turns and takes both your hands in his.."Its not too much, Honey.. You were there for him, when his family wasn't.." He glances down, a guilt ridden expression on his face.. "Kindness and loyalty meant everything to Alex Carrington.. That's exactly why you're here."

His warm words of support melt your insides, you want to fall into his arms and feel safe, but instead, you settle for squeezing his welcome hands in yours..

"Oh.. Archie.. Thank you.." You smile..

His emblazoned emerald eyes go wide with surprise at your use of a cute new nickname before he grins at you and shakes his head..

"Whats next, Garrett?" Though he speaks to the lawyer, his gaze remain locked on you..

"Only the matter of Carrington Corporation's management.." Garrett replies, unbothered by the sweltering heat that has overcome the room.. Or maybe it's just you..

"Right.. Go ahead." As if reluctantly, Archer lets go of your hands and turns back to Garrett..

"The board remains mostly unchained, Ellerie will retain her position at the head.." He nods to a petite woman in her mid thirties, with bright red lipstick, fiery auburn hair and thick rimmed lemon yellow cats eye glasses.."With the addition of Iris in place as her co-director.."

"Thank you Garrett, I look forward to it.." Iris beams, looking pleased with how everything has so far unfolded..

"It will be great to have you on the board, Iris.." Ellerie smiles with Iris, the kind of smile shared between old friends while an impatient Garrett clears his throat to continue..

"Finally, we have the Instatement of a new CEO, Archer Carrington, with the condition he accept the appointment of a COO, Miss Honey Sinclaire.." The stern faced solicitor stares at you..

"I'm sorry, what?!" You feel like the wind has been knocked from you lungs to hear you name read allowed, titled as the new COO of Carrington Corp..

"NO FUCKING WAY!" A shrill outburst in the corner has everybody spinning in shock to see Samantha Parker, red with rage and looking like she is about to tackle you to the floor before she points an accusing finger at Garrett and shouts, "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU SAY!?"