Chapter 21 || Another Second Chance

Peter and I sat silently.

After I'd calmed down he sat on the opposite side of the wall of me.

"So what were you lied about?" Peter started and I sighed.

"Everything." I replied. "They told me SHIELD was infiltrated and then kept me hostage."

"This was all in Russia?"

I nodded. "They told me SHIELD was no longer a thing and that you guys, the Avengers were complicit to its downfall. They tortured me. They wanted to make sure that I'd be faithful to them. But once I complied they treated me well." I sighed.

"Why didn't you try to come back?"

"You think I didn't try?" I scoffed. "They kept me hostage Peter. I couldn't go anywhere I wanted to. And plus why would I want to? Everything that was waiting for me was gone. I thought it was."

"You still had me." Peter stared at me with his brown eyes that I missed so much.

"Do I still have you?" I cocked my eyebrow. "I'm not the same person I was 5 years ago. You wouldn't like me very much."

"You're still the same Skylar I remember."

"Don't look like it though, do I?" I glanced at him and he stayed silent, examining my features. "Plastic surgery." I said and he pressed his lips together, nodding.

"I've killed." I remarked.

"Я не могу! (I can't!)" I screamed as the gun was forced into my head, pointed to a boy my age, kneeling before me.

"Вы можете, и вы будете! (You can, and you will!)" Anatoly screamed back at me.

My hand was shaking so much, if I pulled the trigger I might've shot everywhere but the boy's head.

The boy had sweated brown hair, dirty and it was sticking to his face. It looked like he hadn't had a shower in weeks. He worn bloody and shredded clothing and his face was all sorts of hues of black and blue.

He looked like he'd been through hell.

"Не заставляй меня делать это! (Don't make me do this!)" I pleaded and Anatoly backhanded me, twisting my neck so far that it would leave me sore.

"Если ты не убьешь его, он подвергнется пыткам в течение нескольких часов или дней. (He will go through hours/days worth of torture if you don't kill him.)" Anatoly threatened and I couldn't take my eyes off the boy. He'd started shaking.

Anatoly grabbed a fistful of the boy's hair and pulled it up, making him wince.

"открой глаза, кусок дерьма. (open your eyes, you piece of shit.)" Anatoly tightened his grip on the boy's hair and he wailed in pain.

He opened his eyes, sensitive to the light that was shining on us.

I let out the most horrific gasp.

He looked like Peter.

"Who?" Peter asked, breaking me out of my haunting memory.

I stayed silent, not wanting to answer.

"We should go back."

"No." I said, making him frown.

"We can help you."

"I don't want your help." I crinkled my nose.

"you have no where else to go."

"Exactly. You must've built a life the years I've been gone." I stood up. "Go back to it."

"Skylar-." Peter started.

"No. I don't have you." I couldn't look at him. "I know by the way you look at me. I might've had you 5 years ago, but I don't now." I said, and the words hurt me more than I showed and headed out of the building, but stopped before I left the room. "It's okay Peter," I hated what I was saying but it wasn't for me, it was for him. "I broke up with you. You have no obligation to me. You don't have to." I clenched my fists. "Let me go."

I headed out and I heard Peter stumble to his feet.

"Skylar don't walk out on me!" Peter followed me but I didn't stop.

"Don't call me that." I yelled at him while walking away. The Downs were emptier than I remembered. It was completely abandoned.

"No I will call you that because that's who you are." Peter grabbed my wrist and stopped me, making me sigh. "It doesn't matter. if you change your face or name. Skylar is who you are, it's your roots and I'm a part of that. Even if we aren't together I'm still your friend. You always had me, even if you thought you didn't."

My back was to him and I crinkled my eyebrows together. He was making walking away so much harder and I cursed under my breath.

"Come back to the tower. You still have me."

I silently groaned to myself and forcefully ripped my wrist from his grip.

"Fine." I muttered.
---------------------
"Your team isn't gonna be happy to see me." I muttered and Peter chuckled.

"They'll give me the benefit of the doubt." We rode the elevator, waiting for it to take us up.

"Will it be big enough to dismiss me putting Romanoff in a closet and Wilson tied up in the women's bathroom?"

Peter sighed, "Yeah I don't know."

The doors dinged and opened and I heard people talking and laughing.

"Hey! What is she doing here?" Clint shouted and all eyes turned to us.

"It's okay! She's not a threat." Peter reassured but I saw Sam step forward.

"She's the one that took us out!" Sam pointed at me.

"Uh took you out." Tony scoffed.

"She got Natasha." Sam defended.

"Still put up a better fight than you bud." Natasha took a sip from a glass of wine she had in her hand.

"Peter, what is Angelina doing here?" Steve questioned.

"Her name i- ow!"

I shoved Peter hard enough that he stopped mid sentence. I gave him a warning look and he sighed. "Yeah she's Angelina." He said in a sarcastic tone.

"Hey kid, that girl holding you hostage?" Tony asked and I scowled at him.

"No no." Peter defended.

"Peter what is she doing here?" Steve asked again.

"I'm sorry." I said before Peter had a chance. "Sorry for causing you all trouble." I muttered. "If Im being honest I don't know why I'm here." I glanced to Peter.

"She needs help." He said.

"Like hell I do." I muttered and he glared at me, making me stop.

"She has powers." Tony remarked and I cocked my eyebrow. "That's what you told me." He pointed to Steve.

"Yeah. Don't all of you?" I sassed while staring at Tony. Watching him, a thought came into my mind. "Is banner here?" I asked.

"You tryna steal him?" Sam crossed his arms.

"I'm not against you." I rolled my eyes.

"And I'm not a weapon to just be used." Bruce walked out from next to Thor and my eyes lit up.

"Bruce." His name left my lips and they closed quickly as he looked at me with confused eyes.

"Do I know you?" He asked, making me break our eye contact.

"In another life." I remarked and turned to Peter. I just wanted to make sure Bruce was there. He was the only one I'd fully trusted. "So what do I do now?"

[words: 1182]