Chapter 9 || Unexpected

The month had passed faster than I'd thought. During lunch I'd read over the packet over and over again every day until I could almost memorize everything. I didn't talk about it to Peter though. No matter how much he asked. 

The past few days/weeks were filled with tons of bonding with everyone. Especially Grayson and Peter. Grayson was basically my brother. He is my brother. 

And Peter. I didn't know what he was to me, but we just enjoyed each other and moments with each other. As each day passed, I tried pushing the idea that all of that, all of this would end with the month. 

At night, no matter how much I would try to wall out those thoughts, the exhaustion would wear me out and I would get a glimpse of them. Then I would go to the bathroom to take some melatonin so I could just knock myself out. 

Sometimes Peter would sleep over, and I would press myself so close to his body I could hear our heartbeats sync up. I would excuse myself to the bathroom whenever he would stay the night and take the sleeping pills then. 

"So who is she?" I asked Grayson as we both leaned on the island in the kitchen. I took a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth from the tub we were sharing. I had been trying for the last eight minutes to figure out who his crush was. 

I saw him blush and smiled widely at him. 

"So this is real?" I raised my eyebrows, my smile still bright. "She must be special." 

"I just don't want you to be mad." He said quietly. 

I scoffed, "Why would I be mad? I could never be mad. I mean unless it's Clem-." I stopped. My smile dropped and I pointed at him with my spoon. "It better not be Clem. Because I swear if it is then I'm ne-." 

"It's not Clem." He emphasized every word. "It's MJ. But I don't think he knows?" He said quickly. 

I face morphed from frustration to anger and then to another smile. I couldn't stop smiling as I took another bite of ice cream. 

"Sky? Skylar say something." I looked up at him with bright eyes and I couldn't help but snicker at his worry stricken face. 

"Sorry I was just imagining all the adorable scenarios with the two of you in my head. Very adorable." 

"Do you think I have a chance?" He asked with hopeful eyes.

I licked my lips. "I think you are a great guy," I spoke slowly, "An amazing guy deserves an amazing girl. And MJ is one of the few amazing girls I have ever met in my life. You two would be lucky to have each other." I said gleaming like young child. 

He just mimicked my smile and we heard a doorbell before hearing a door open. 

Peter walked in, holding a box. "I brought donuts." He awkwardly and sat them down between Grayson and me. 

"Hi." I said sweetly and hugged him. 

"Skylar, I love your boyfriend." Grayson said hungrily as he pushed the ice cream tub aside. 

"What?" I laughed. "He's not my boyfriend." I rolled my eyes as I put the ice cream back into the freezer and the spoons into the sink. 

"He might as well be." He said with his mouth full of donuts. 

"Yeah." Peter quietly said, almost as if he didn't say it at all. 

My lingering smile stayed on my face as I looked at his hesitant face. "What?" I said, my face freezing in its smile. 

"I come to your house almost every day and I watch you sleep when I sleep over and I like spending time with you." He said slowly. "I like you. Will you be my girlfriend?" His small smile almost made me smile. 

Grayson gasped beside us as he watched us just staring into each other's eyes. I think he tried to read me because I saw his eyebrows wiggle worriedly. 

I pressed my smile wider and I grabbed his hand. "Let's go talk in my room." I held his hand in mine and started heading towards the stairs. 

"Ooh, they gonna do the nasty." Grayson taunted like a child and I stuck my finger up at him as I pulled Peter up the stairs and into my room. 

I sat Peter down on my bed and closed the door behind me, leaning on it. I took my hands and pulled my hair up. 

He nervously stared at me. 

"Uhh." Peter hung his mouth open. 

"I want to." I finally spoke. He opened his mouth wider to say something else but I stuck my finger up to stop him. "Peter." I said solemnly. "Budapest. It's engraved in my mind. If I continued this regular, ordinary life," I gestured with my hands, "I would say yes. A million times yes." I smiled and pressed my lips to his. He kissed back but still didn't say anything. 

"But I don't." I sighed. "I've been taking melatonin every night this month." 

He looked confused, "What why?"

"Because the words on that paper scare me. They woul- will. They will break me down, put me under insane stress and pressure just so I can be suitable and eligible to even start." I shook my head. "I can't make a promise to you, saying I would be here for your everyday if I'm occupied with, things I can't even imagine." 

I tried controlling my breaths as I tried not to shake from the nervousness and fear boiling up. Made up scenarios and visualizations materialized in my mind and I clenched my hands. 

"Hey look. You clearly don't want to do this. Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do." Peter said. 

"Peter." I quickly but in after. "I don't want to give you hope if its not-."

"Okay." Peter said with a silky voice. "Skylar. Relationships are risky. Every one is." He stifled a laugh. 

"Are you laughing at me?" My voice broke and he grabbed my hands. 

"No no Sky." He smiled, but it slowly melt away. "Nothing will be easy for anyone. Much less me or you. But that's why we have relationships, we take risks, all for the future we can hope for." He said. "I could talk more about about this but it's for you to figure out on your own." 

He took my hand in his and I smiled, but a frown was plastered on my face too. "I'm scared Peter." 

It was true. I was terrified. I would give consent for SHIELD to psychologically/mentally/physically torture me. And I'd question my sanity every now and then and ask why I would do this in the first place. 

"It's okay. It's okay." He embraced me in a hug and no matter how scary my thoughts turned, I really had felt safe. I had felt like December would never come at all. 

"So yes?" I tried to say it as a statement but it came out as a question. "I'll be your girlfriend." 

His hands wrapped tighter around me and soon I struggled to breathe. 

"Okay Peter." I struggled saying. "Can't breathe." 

He let me go with a smile. A genuine happy expression on his face that I hadn't seen in a while. 

"You're my girlfriend." He said again, as if it wasn't true. 

I laughed at his disbelief. I squealed as he pulled me over to the bed and we both collapsed onto the mattress. 

[words: 1263]