Bonus Chapter. 4

Mason's POV.

Fucking Finally. My exams over and I could finally breath. I walked into the house after my last paper and found a suitcase by the door. I recognized it as my moms. She was leaving? Why? I still hadn't talked to her about B yet. I had been so wrapped up in exams I kept putting it off. I also wanted to give B the space to do her exams in peace that's why I had stopped texting and calling her. Not that she ever picked up but I took comfort in the fact that she read my texts. But if my mom was leaving then it meant this was my last chance to talk to talk to her about B.

"Mason. You're back. How were your last papers?" My mom asked as soon as I walked into the living room.

"Okay I guess. You're leaving?" I asked.

"Yes I have some urgent business to take care off in Nairobi. I've been waiting for you. I wanted us to talk before I leave." She replied and I sat down beside her.

"Yeah because I wanted to talk to you too." I said.

"I promise I will listen but hear me out first." She requested and I nodded.

"Okay. I know I haven't been the best mom since I came back but I want to be. You were right when you said I was being insecure about you having someone other than me in your life. You have to understand one thing Mason. Your my son. My only family. Of course I will be overprotective. I care about you that much. But it seems I maybe wrong because this time is different because I've never seen you behave like this over a girl. Before when you used to pull those stunts that you did with the other girls they would be history as soon as I came back. But now we barely talk, you won't eat and I've even heard you cry in your room. I want my baby boy back. The one who told me everything. So am here to listen because I hate seeing you in pain. Tell me about this Becca girl." She explained and I smiled the first genuine smile I had in weeks.

My mom was finally willing to listen and that made me hopeful for better.

"First of all Im so sorry I didn't tell you about Becca during our calls in the time we were dating." I apologized.

"That has baffled me. If she was so important to you why hide her?" My mom asked perplexed.

"It's because I was scared mom. For the first time I met someone who I actually fell in love with. She was my first real relationship and I was scared. You know how you African moms are with your sons. I didn't expect you to hate her like you did but I wanted to hold on to her a while longer before you came in and put tension between us. It's like tradition for moms to hate daughter's in law especially single moms." I explained and my mom laughed.

"I'm sorry if I ever gave you the impression that am a typical African mom as you put it. Mason as much as I've raised you on my own I always wanted you to find the perfect girl for you. Someone to take care of you when I wasn't around. I maybe a little insecure but I'd find a way to get over that if she was the right kind of girl. Now answer me this. Is your Becca the right kind of girl?" My mom asked her tone getting serious.

This was my chance to defend B. It was time to make my mom see B in the same light as I did. And talk I did. I talked about how when we first met it took me three tries to get her to agree to come inside even though she was soaking wet. I talked about how she reprimanded me for taking her shopping and buying her new things. I told my mom about that time she got mad at me for getting late to pick her up for her school trip. I told her how she hates me spending money in her. How Becca preferred staying in, watching movies and eating junk food instead of going out to fancy places and eating food. I explained her tattoos to my mom. I also made sure to mention about Becca's most resent news about her travelling to the UK for a semester. By the time I was done I was smiling widely from talking about my girl so much and my mom had a hint of a smile from her lips.