Chapter Five

We were seated having breakfast in a nice little cafe I've never been in before but had passed a few times. Mason was seated across me staring at me as I enjoyed my morning coffee.

"It's rude to stare you know." I said not looking up.

"I'm sorry, I am just trying to figure you out." He replied still gazing intently at me.

"You can stare all you want but I promise you will not be able to discover anything." I said grabbing a maandazi off the plate between us.

"Well today is all about us getting to know each other so I'm guaranteed that by the end of the day I'll have discovered a few facts about you." He said confidently.

I just shook my head at him and continued eating. Mason was the perfect example of a gentleman. He let you walk by first, opened doors for you, let you sit before he sat and always paid attention. Those were very rare attributes to find in a Kenyan man nowadays and I found myself more and more intrigued by the sexy and smart specimen of a man seated across me.

"It's only fair I get to know you too then don't you think? " I asked raising one eyebrow in question.

"I'm an open book. Ask me anything." He replied giving me exactly what I needed.

"One thing puzzles me. How can a perfect guy like you with the looks, money and smarts be single in this crazy campus of ours where everyone is looking for their next lay and someone to pay the bills." I inquired.

"You think I have the looks?" He teased.

I rolled my eyes "Seriously that's all you got from all what I've asked."

He laughed "I'm just pulling your leg. It's just like you've said everyone is looking for a quick lay and a fat bank account and I want more than that in a relationship."

"What makes you so sure I don't want those same things from you?" I asked finishing up my coffee.

"First of all it took me a good thirty minutes to convince you to come into my place as you got rained on. If it were any other lady they would have jumped at that chance the moment I opened my mouth." He replied.

"What if I was just playing hard to get?"

"Becca if you are trying to turn me against you, trust me baby you're going to have to try harder." He said before getting up to go pay the bill.

I was left stunned for a few minutes as the reality of what he had said and called me registered in my brain. Baby. That was an endearment I wasn't ready to hear but it made me feel all giddy inside. Mason was making it harder for me to stay away from him with every passing moment we spent together.

But maybe it wasn't so bad. I exited the cafe as I followed him outside towards his car to continue the rest of the date For the first time in a long time I found myself putting faith in a man and hoping for a future with him. Maybe it's like Hailee had said, we were meant to be. But only time would tell.

"Where are we going now Mr -Wait -Till-We -Get-There?" I asked glaring playfully at Mason.

"You've been asking me that for the past thirty minutes and my answer still remains the same. Wait till we get there." Mason replied.

I groaned out loud and gave up asking. I grabbed his phone from where it was lying between us and asked for his password.

He said it was the date of the day we met making me laugh.

"What?" He asked staring at me.

"Look at you trying to be all cute and stuff. It's actually quite adorable." I replied as I started going through his phone.