Chapter 10 Home

You still went back to that tree almost every weekend. It's been about a month since your special trip to the tree. Mark brings a pocket knife with him this time.

He carves in it (F/n) + Mark with a heart enclosing it all. He holds you close as you both stare at the freshly made markings. "(F/n), I think I'm ready," he says suddenly. You look up at him, confused. "That is if you are too. It's a two way decision. I mean there's a lot of thinking things through and figuring out the little details. But if you're ready, I am too."

"Mark, what are you talking about," he forgets that people can't see into his mind. "Moving in together. If you want to, I do too. It doesn't matter who's place we go to or even if we buy a new one. I would just love to wake up every morning and the first thing I see is you next to me," he kisses your forehead. "This is your best idea yet," you lay your head on his shoulder. "Emphasis on yet," he whispers.

It gives you hope. Hope that the future isn't so distant. Hope that he cares for you just as much as you care for him if not more. Hope that there is a 'someday' that will eventually turn it a 'today'.

You shiver. He holds you closer to protect you from the cool November wind. Visitations with your tree would be few and far between. That's why you embraced every moment you possibly could with it. You're pretty sure the tree is dead but still standing. It hadn't grown any leaves in the spring or summer. It was still a special memory to you.

You'd decided in the past month that law school is not for you. So it's back to the drawing board with your career path.

Within that month, you and Mark have begun house hunting. That's pretty difficult in LA. You want a nice sized house. Since it's just the two of you you technically only need two bedrooms. One to sleep in and another for his recording room. He's insisting on at least a three bedroom house saying he wants to plan ahead.

You haven't exactly talked about children that much. You weren't sure if you even wanted any. At least not until you had a stable job and were married. They're a big responsibility. It's a lot to take on. You just don't know of you can handle all the pressure of being a parent. Mark on the other hand obviously wants kids someday. You went to his mom's house for Thanksgiving with him and he was so good with his nieces especially. It was adorable seeing him like that. He must have these natural fatherly instincts.

You have, however, talked about marriage. That is a milestone you like the idea of. He asked what you wanted in an engagement ring and what size he should get. He said that's all he needed to know. He's got everything else. You didn't know when he was going to. It could be soon or several years away. Either way you were fine with whatever he had planned.

Mark had found one house that he thought was perfect. It was close to his apartment complex, it had the amount of bedrooms he wanted and it was in a nice neighborhood. He planned a meeting with a realtor to go look at the house.

The second you laid eyes on the house you were in love. You knew it was perfect. You told Mark, "this is perfect for us. We have to get it." Sure enough, he made it happen. All the paperwork was going through. Soon the house would be read for you to move into.

You both began boxing up your things. Preparing for this leap in your relationship. He made sure you were ready for this just as he'd done before in various other situations.

You ended up moving in December 11. You both got all your boxes there within the day. The larger pieces of furniture would be there tomorrow. The only bigger things you had was a TV and a mattress. Both now positioned in the living room.

It was sunset, your favorite time of the day. Mark moved the mattress in front of the TV and got a bunch of blankets and pillows. "What are you doing?" you asked. "Do you wanna watched a movie?" he motioned toward the mattress. "Sure," you walked over and laid down with him. Your head automatically going to his chest. Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum. The soothing sound echoes in your ears.