26

Michael

"Have fun with Cal and Kaykay," I said, kissing Elijah's cheek, "We'll be back as soon as we can be,"

"Can you text Calum?"

"Yeah, I'll let them know when we are on our way back,"

I joined Crystal in the car, putting in the directions for the gas station we were collecting the twins from. Our car now had an extra booster seat in, and we'd decided to bring the blankets and teddy bears for them.

It was the evening, so the sun was setting on the way there, and I expected they would be pretty tired when we got them. We were tired too, having shopped down by the beach as well, but the excitement fuelled us to keep going.

Eventually, we arrived and parked up outside, patiently waiting for the social worker to arrive.

"I hope these two will stay in our family,"

"Me too, especially because they're so young- they can grow up with a family,"

"It'll be good for Elijah, I know it will be,"

A black car pulled up beside us, and we got out the car, shaking hands with the social worker; she opened the car door and there sat two little, frightened kids, who we were welcoming with open arms.

She went to the other side and unstrapped Payton, so I went ahead and unstrapped Cameron, lifting him onto the floor. Both of them carried two small plastic bags, and had another on their heads, meaning we'd be stopping by and my parent's house to deal with head lice. Previously, a couple of kids had come with them as well, but not all of them.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you two, I'm Michael, and this is Crystal,"

"I don't want to go in their car," Cameron said, starting to cry. Payton joined in, and I swiftly grabbed a teddy from the car.

"We brought you teddies and blankets. You can have them if you get in the car,"

"I don't want a mummy and daddy, they aren't good,"

"Michael and Crystal are really kind, and they have been mummy and daddy for other kiddies,"

"My head is itchy," Payton said, wiping her tears, "Will you fix that?"

"We will fix that right away sweetheart, before we even get home,"

Hesitantly, she stepped forward, then climbed into the car and picked up the bear and blanket. Cameron was still crying, but I handed him the bear and he dropped his bags to cuddle it. I put them in the boot of our car, as well as Payton's, then Crystal took his blanket and wrapped it round his shoulders, gently leading him to his car seat. Once he was also buckled up, we shut their doors and got back in the car.

"We are going to stop by my mum and dad's house and make your heads not itchy, then go home and tuck you up in bed,"

"And tomorrow we will do some painting, and lots of fun things,"

"No," Cameron trembled, "I want no mummy or daddy,"

"We promise to be a kind, loving, and fun mummy and daddy,"

I looked back in the mirror and saw Payton holding his hand, her own lip trembling, but no tears falling. Part of me had expected them to be excited, but that was wishful thinking, and they had every right to be scared.

We arrived at mum and dad's so we got them out the car, both of them holding each others hands but neither of ours.

"My hair is cut off?"