22

Elijah

"I liked that film," I said, "Thankyou,"

"You're welcome. Do you want to head back now?"

"Not yet,"

"Is everything okay?" Ash asked.

"Yeah, I like having different company because it's weird without Jasper. He's not spoken to me, I don't think he will ever again, but perhaps I'll become a big brother instead,"

"You'll get a sibling, there's always kids. Are you settling in okay?"

"It's kind of hard," I mumbled, taking my beanie off as it was hot, "I wish it came instantly,"

"Well you've been thrown into a whole new environment buddy, it's not going to come instantly, but you'll figure it out in the end. It'll happen naturally,"

"How do you guys cope with having new people?"

"Once we recognise the boundaries, we simply love and help anyone that your mum and dad foster,"

"Do they only foster?"

"No, they want to adopt. They were going to adopt Jasper and Lauren, but then the obvious happens,"

"So they really will adopt me?"

"If you want that,"

"I want to be adopted so that I can legally change my name,"

"Ohhh yeah, that's a nice perk,"

"Do mum and dad tell you guys everything?"

"No, they don't tell us much at all. Why, are you guys keeping secrets?"

I giggled and shook my head, receiving a small smile. Even just the fact that Ashton had gone out of his way to invite me over was comforting, so knowing he was content with my company was even better. All I wanted was to have them trust me as much as I would trust them.

"You can always talk to any of us if you have a tricky issue, and you're probably sick of hearing that, but it's true,"

"I like the reassurance,"

"Do you want a hug?"

Immediately, I shuffled across the sofa and hit my head on his chest, shutting my eyes.

"Careful there, you're still injured,"

"Thankyou for making me better,"

"That's what I do," he chucked, rubbing my back, "I answer questions and perform miracles,"

"Miracles?"

"Duh,"

Suddenly, his phone began ringing and I jumped back, but he put his arm round me again and answered the call.

"It's your dad,"

"I wanna stay,"

"You can come back another day, I promise,"

Though I loved home, and I loved mum and dad, there was something so relieving about being round someone else's house because I knew that there was a place to go if home wasn't safe. Here, it was calm and cosy, whereas home was quite big for just the three of us. Hopefully it would be filled soon.

"They're on their way, we can do this again, but I'm sure our other friends will want this time together,"

"Do Luke and Sierra live together?"

"Yeah, they're together. Cal and Kaykay are roommates,"

Part of me almost made a remark about him and Kaykay, but then I remembered people would not be as lenient towards me as they would be towards Lauren, and didn't say it.