7

Elijah

I had a hard time sleeping at night, and dad and I ended up switching beds so that I could sleep with mum. Usually, I wasn't so attached to a parent- nor close- but I felt so sick that I needed someone there.

As I rested on her chest, she brushed her fingers through my hair, breathing slowly.

"You can sleep in, even if dad and I leave, because grandma and grandad are coming before we go. We'll ring at lunchtime,"

"Okay," I croaked, "Don't take me away,"

"You're staying right here bud, try and get back to sleep,"

I curled up in the covers and made sure mum was there, before drifting back off to sleep. It turned out I could be a pretty deep sleeper, as the next time I woke up, mum was gone and it was light outside.

Slowly, I got out of bed and went to the toilet, then grabbed a sweatshirt and slid it on as I went downstairs. Grandma and grandad sat on the sofa, but grandma stood as she saw me.

"Goodmorning bud, sit down, I'll get you breakfast,"

"Oh, thankyou ,"

I sat down and grandad pulled me into a hug, ruffling my hair before feeling my head.

"Karen, can you bring a glass of water? He's really hot,"

Honestly, I was relieved that I didn't have to tell them my pronouns. I couldn't do it, not today.

Grandma came back with a plate of toast with nutella on, as well as a glass of orange juice and tablets. No water, but orange juice was better.

"What time is it?"

"About half ten,"

I nodded and took the medicine, slowly eating the toast. Though my stomach felt better, my throat certainly did not, and it sucked. Right before I came here, someone in the group home had got sick and coughed on me, so now I was having the exact same symptoms.

Oh the joys of being Elijah.

"Your mum and dad have left you medicine and some treats if you fancy them. We thought we could maybe go on a small walk after lunch and get some fresh air for twenty minutes?" grandad said, "Only if you're well enough,"

"Oh. Maybe,"

He put his arm round me as I ate, gently rubbing his thumb on my arm, comforting me. It reminded me of dad.

Once I was done, I went upstairs and brushed my teeth, then went back downstairs and sat beside my grandparents again. They had the tv on, and I sat silently watching it with them.

We sat there for quite a while, until the phone rang, and grandma passed it to me with a smile.

"Hello," dad said, "How are you feeling?"

I got up and went upstairs to my room, debating the answer.

"Okay,"

That was the safest answer.

"What have you been up to?"

"We watched tv,"

"Have you spoken to them much?"

"Not really. I don't know what to say,"

"They'll talk about anything, trust me. What time did you wake up?"

"Half ten,"

"That's good, I'm glad you got some sleep. I know that this might be really scary because you've barely known us two minutes, but can you try to trust me when I say that you're safe?"