24

Michael 

"How do you think it's going?" 

"I'm not sure," I mumbled, taking a sip of my beer, "He seems okay,"

"Today must've been so hard for him, I hope we handled it okay. I don't think we were harsh,"

"No, we were cool and collected, and he was too considering the situation. Having a period must be the absolute worse for him,"

"Can Ash see him tomorrow?"

"Already booked in for midday, hopefully we'll be off for lunch. I think it's worth bringing him to the office for a change of scene," I suggested, "I mean, he can't stay home yet on his own, we're still up all night,"

"I think we can trust him to sleep tonight. He's not as upset about it anymore, is he? Not about the incident, and I really trust him because look at the kid. All he wants is some sleep,"

"Maybe we could sleep a bit, then wake up in the night and make sure its all okay, then sleep again,"

"If that makes you feel better,"

"Definitely,"

"Alright, but you do need your sleep soon as well,"

Caringly, she kissed my cheek and ran her fingers through my hair, both of us turning our heads as the tutor started to pack up. It was unclear whether Elijah was content or overwhelmed, but we got a reassuring smile from the tutor so we let him go to his room.

"His reading level is pretty low, but I think we'll catch it up. In terms of general writing for English classes, he has the creativity for sure, but again the standard is low. His maths is pretty average, but I can push him. I'd be happy to work with him as long as you need. You can let me know in the week,"

"Thankyou so much,"

"That's alright, he's tried his best and that's all I can ask,"

When she'd gone, I cleared up the coffee mug and wiped down the table, then knocked on Elijah's door and waited to be let in.

"Was that good?"

"Yeah,"

"So would you like her to come again?"

"Yes please. Am I seeing Ashton tomorrow?"

"You are; you're coming to work with us, and seeing him around midday,"

He hugged me so close and tight that he was almost sat on me, so I reciprocated the action as long as he needed. Honestly, I had no clue what he was going through.

"We've spoken to your therapist. He is calling on Sunday, and then every Sunday from then on until you're ready. Is that okay?"

"Yeah,"

"Good. Despite the challenges today, we are still proud of you,"

"Thankyou for letting me stay,"

"This is home. You're the one who decides whether to stay or not, so stop thanking us for that. Our son, in our home, and you'll always be welcome here any time you need,"

"When I'm 18?"

"However old you are, if you need to get back on your feet then we'll help,"

"Feels like a dream," he laughed, sniffing quietly, "Why do you look so tired?"

"Stress, I suppose. Lots is happening,"

"I've come to the conclusion that Jasper will not talk to me again,"

"Maybe not, but we'll have to see what happens,"

"I want to sleep,"

"Get ready for bed then mum can read to you for a bit before you sleep,"