19

Jasper

"When will mummy and daddy come and pick us up?"

"We're staying with Kai munchkin," I whispered, holding Lauren close to me, "You need to sleep,"

"I wanna go home,"

"Why?"

"Kai won't play dollies like Elijah,"

"Kai works differently, he's very busy,"

"I wanna play on your phone,"

"I don't have a phone right now,"

"Why?"

"The contract ends in a couple of days and Kai wants me to pay for my own phone. I'll get a job soon and then buy you a cute dress too,"

"We can shop with mummy,"

"We're with Kai now, go to sleep,"

I cradled her in my arms, so innocent as sweet, until she fell asleep and I could too. Things here were just different. Kai was teaching me more things about life than I'd learnt before, like how to clean the toilet, or budget a food shop.

He even made Lauren start to learn the alphabet, though everytime she had a hissy fit and hid in our bed. She didn't seem to want to learn it.

Here was a good match for me, Kai said, but it didn't seem to be for Lauren. However, Lauren wasn't leaving unless I was.

In the morning, she was still in my arms, both of us waking up from banging on our door. Kai walked in and looked at his watch, muttering something under his breath.

"You two need to get up and dressed for the day,"

"Okay,"

"We're moving apartments,"

"Wait- what? Where to?"

"Another town, I got offered the job yesterday,"

"But... what about the school here?"

"There's a school in that town too. Hurry up, we don't have long,"

I made some warm milk for Lauren which she drank as I packed out clothes back into suitcases. Once that was done, I cooked us both some toast and we ate quietly in the kitchen while Kai played on the xbox.

Until I got straight As, I wasn't allowed it, which sucked because I barely ever got an A.

As I said, things were different round here, but they took getting used to... that was all.