09| golden

Oh yes. The past can hurt you. But, you can either run from it or learn from it. ”

- The Lion King

09| golden

When Oliver said he would eat lunch outside, I thought he meant the picnic tables we have outside the cafeteria. Instead, I found him sitting on top of the bleachers with his feet dangling on either side of a bench, that book and an apple in his hand.

I climb up the bleachers and sit down. I haven’t bothered to get lunch as I don’t feel hungry.

Oliver takes a bite of his apple and keeps reading. I don’t break his concentration, so I look around. There are not many people outside. I tap my feet on the seat and hum a song under my breath. After a few minutes, I am bored.

I jump down from my seat. Oliver glances at me but doesn’t say anything. I walk around until I reach the bike stand. I get my bike and head for the front gate. It is open wide.

“Where do you think you are going?” Oliver says walking beside me.

“Outside,” I reply. As I am about to hop onto my bike, Oliver grabs the handle.

“I am coming with you,” Oliver says.

“And what did I do to deserve this honor?” I ask him.

“To make sure you come back in time,” Oliver replies.

I raise my eyebrow. Then I roll my eyes.

“If you can keep up with me by walking, sure,” I say to him. 

Oliver doesn't let go of my bike. “Walk to my house first. I have a bike too.”

“And why would I do that?” I ask him.

I don’t know what is wrong with him. What gave him the idea that he is my guardian angel, and he needs to look out for me?

Oliver stares at me, drilling me with his eyes, as if he can make me agree with him by the sheer force of his gaze.

“Whatever,” I shrug and walk forward. He walks next to me.

We reach his house. I wait outside as he gets his bike. It is an old bike. He has to make adjustments while I wait. Then he gets on. We start riding.

I have been biking around a lot lately. The speed, the freedom and control and everything rushing past me as I speed up; that is my favorite part about biking. But of course, Oliver has other plans.

“Slow down, Gwen,” he calls from behind me.

I sigh and slow down a little bit.

The streets are empty. The wind is blowing gently. We bike side by side. I am heading for the lake. I don’t know how, but the lakeside has become my escape place. I feel a sense of calm whenever I am there. 

“Where are we going?” Oliver asks as we start biking into the woods that are around the lake.

“Never been here before?” I ask back. 

Oliver turns his head around and takes a look. 

“Relax, nothing is going to jump out at you,” I say.

“You never know,” Oliver mumbles.

I laugh. Oliver snaps his head towards me.

“I come here almost everyday. I know this place like the back of my hand.” I roll my eyes.