I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

They all had been working all day but It was finally the night of Christmas. They all came back to the house. We set a long table out. Webber and Arizona were singing away in the corner. Aurora was unwrapping presents. The table set up filled with food. The dinner was wonderful, my eyes began to cloud with tears, I blocked out the tension of Bailey talking to her dad and instead was swept away in the thoughts of Lawrence.

'You ok?' Mer said holding my hand in the process, her eyes were soft and her touch re-assuring.

'Just thinking about him'

'You know when I lost my mum I regretted not being there to say goodbye but I realised to treasure those very rare moments of joy I had shared with her through her life'

'Thank you Mer' Dad looked over at me when I spoke and gave a look of sadness to me.

Aurora had escaped the table and had ran to get a brown letter and red velveted box from beneath the tree, a recognisable black calligraphed L.A.U.R.E.L written across the front an X kiss next to it.

'Mom, this ones for you' she ran through the crowd of people.

'hey baby, watch the people'

'Mommy it says it's from Dr Elstree'

I looked around the table, my cheeks burning up. Luckily everybody was still looking at Miranda and her dad. 

'lets eat!' Dad said in a hope to relive tension. 

I opened the small box, it had a ring in it, with my birthstone in the centre. 

We all finally finished dinner, everybody soon left, as they did I couldn't help but feel humbled that this was my family now. Watching Arizona walk away with Callie, Owen walking Teddie and Cristina home, Miranda and her dad. I turned to see Mer and Dad sat next to the fire with Aurora. 

'Hey do you guys mind if I just go and see  someone for a moment'

'Who?' My dad asked curiously, 'A boy?' Meredith nudged him

'Of course, We can watch Aurora' 

I smiled at dad's realisation, ' I won't be long' 

I walked out onto the snowy streets of Seattle and reached  Sam's apartment block. A small lady in a fur coat walked out of the apartment block, I caught the door as she let it go.

'Sorry my lovely I didn't see you there'

'Oh don't worry maam'

I walked up to his blue apartment door. Knock knock knock my hand went against the peeling paint. He opened the door with a smile. 

'I didn't want you to be alone on Christmas' I said with a smile

'Thanks Laurel but I-'

'I brought wine' I said pulling a bottle from under my coat.

We sat on his floor as I undid the bottle.

'OOOOH POP!' I said laughing

'You are crazy you know that' 

We spent Hours that night talking about his ex-wife Louise, she sadly passed away from cancer a few months before he moved to Seattle. I had drank four glasses before I had this feeling he was staring right at me. 

'Why are you staring at me Sam?'

'because I think you are Beautiful' a moment passed of silence as I glanced into his green eyes.

'Oh my god, I'm so sorry you just lost your husband we are friends, I mean what the hell am I saying' 

I smiled at his worried and concerned face. 

 I placed one of my fingers on his lips before I leant forward towards his face inhaling his familiar cologne. His hand brushed my brown hair behind my ears. I suddenly pulled away. 

' I better go' I said standing up. 

'Laurel I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable'

'You didn't Sam, We should do this again sometime' I said waving goodbye, my ring clearly on show. He smiled and I left. 

A couple of weeks before Christmas Mark's daughter came into the picture pregnant, mom flew back in to Seattle. They walked along the corridor together. 

'Grandpa grandpa grandpa' Addie laughed next to Mark

'and I could say the same thing back to you Grandma'

'Are we really this old Mark'

'Yes, Addie, that's why I'm a plastic surgeon' 

'I better get going, got my own patients to see to'