HUNNIE PIE

That night I stayed over at the hospital in Brianna's room. Back on a blue chair in the corner of the room. I heard cries in the middle of the night. 

'Brianna are you ok ?' 

'Am I going to live ?' 

'I am going to do everything for you Brianna, I promise I will do everything I can for you' 

She stared at me with big brown eyes. 

'You stayed here ' Juliette said from the door way. 

'Yep my shift finished at 6' I laughed, looking down at my watch 'it's now 12:30'

'I will never get to run again' Brianna said softly.

'You have to believe, every great athlete has a hurdle before they get gold' Juliette said from the doors

'They do' I said looking back at her

'Here I have an idea' I walked out of the room and grabbed two wheelchairs. 

'Here get in this' 

'why?' 

'Just trust me will you' I said with a smile.

I got Juliette to grab Thomas, I knew he's enjoy this. I took them down to the corridor at the base of the hospital. I lined them up... 

'1,2,3' I said 'go' 

We raced down the corridor. Brianna's laugh was infectious. My hands clasped around the black rubber handles as we ran. The silver wheels turning. Our hearts were racing. It was one of those moments were you can feel breathless and free. Lawrence didn't care as much as I did.  It was  the first time we couldn't agree but this wasn't about me and him it was about Brianna. 

WASN'T IT ?

Juliette's ginger hair bounced in the breeze against her flowery scrubs. Brianna and Thomas' laughs could be bottled, they radiated joy and happiness. 

'Again, again, again' Thomas shouted. 

We spent 3 hours running and flying and dreaming. I put Brianna to bed. 

'Thank you, thank you, thank you' she said wrapping me close in her arms. 

'It's ok, I'm going to be  just there if you need me' I said sitting down on the blue chair. 

Juliette came in and we sat down and began to talk. 

'She reminds me of me' 

'Who Brianna?' 

'Yeh, my dad worked so many jobs to get me through med school' 

'That's amazing' 

'Yeh it is, he did all that and then one day he fell off a ladder and never came back' tears rolled down her face.

'I'm sorry' I said placing my hand on hers.

I awoke in the morning to the wheels of her bed being moved. 

'Wait, where are you going?' 

'Just for a scan' 

'right ok' for a moment I thought maybe she was actually getting her surgery. I didn't see Lawrence for the rest of the day.