Astronaut

I slept in one of those blue hospital chairs, the ones where you can feel the wooden frame work through the bottom of the seat, the cold face of the chair reflecting against my skin. I flickered my eyelids open to the bright white lights. Lawrence was layed in his bed, his deep blue eyes watching me as I slowly sat up.

' Morning my darling' he whispered across to me.

'Morning Mr Wilson' I said with a smile

'that was the most uncomfortable night's sleep in the world, how are you feeling this morning?'

' Better, and happier knowing your by my side' he smiled that little smile he does when he want to reassure me, his crease lines show around the corners of his mouth.

I walked stiffly up to the bed, I grabbed his cold fragile hand in mine. My daughter layed at the other side of him, her brown curls lightly spread across the pillow. Today was our second day in hospital, Lawrence had a Glioblastoma tumour. He'd been undergoing treatment for a few months now but we'd decided he was well enough to come to Seattle for the weekend to visit his mom. Until last night he'd felt absoloutly fine all trip, we had gone out to dinner, just the three of us, he'd worn my favourite tie of his, it's checked a jam heart red and royal blue but if you look closely it has the initials L&L on the bottom, it was my 24th birthday present to him. 

The waiter showed us over to a window table, a full view over seattle, it was beautiful with all the lights that framed the buildings, through the droplets of rain that adorned the glass window. He took my hand in his and pulled out a black velvet covered box from his pocket. My heart dropped, Aurora was busy colouring to even notice but I had noticed, it felt like the world had stopped. He got off of his chair and bent down on one knee slowly, we laughed as I helped him down as he was starting to get tired. 

' Will you marry me Laurel, Ahhh' he screamed in pain. Grabbing his head.

 He fell to the side, bashing his head on the table making an awful noise and he lay there collapsed on the floor, a silhouette against the brown glossed wooden floor. I dove down to his side, my green dress catching on the table leg. 

'Your going to be alright Law, SOMEONE CALL 911' I screamed. We had gotten taken to Seattle grace hospital, I had been pushed into a waiting room with Aurora. It was one of the most scariest nights of my life. I didn't want him to die not knowing my answer, not knowing if I'd say yes. At times like these I wish i could call my dad, he's a top neurosurgeon but I can't.

' Hey, hun are you alright'

I awoke from my trance. ' Sorry, just tired, morning sweetie' I said to Aurora as she arose her head from her pillow. 

'Sorry to disturb, I need to prep you for surgery if that's ok' A nurse came into the room with mousy brown hair that framed her face and her body covered in blue scrubs.

' Do you want to come with mommy and we will go and get some coffee, whilst this lady sees to daddy' I said helping Aurora off of the bed.

' Hello, I'm Dr grey' said the lady as I walked out the room. I was still dressed in my velvet green dress and black high heels. My feet were in pain, I stopped by one of the walls and placed my hand onto it. I took one of my shoes off and then the next. As a woman there is no greater relief than taking your shoes off after a long night or your bra, but I wasn't going to do that in the middle of a corridor.

I walked to the coffee machine in the corner. I entered a few cense I had in the bottom of my bag. I pressed the number one on the brown shiny machine as I looked at my reflection, my mascara shadowing my cheeks and my lipstick smudged to the side of my lips. I looked down to the paper cup but nothing dropped into my cup not a single drop of golden liquid which was what it felt like to me at this exact minute.

' Damn you machine' I said punching the corner of the machine.

' I don't think it's going to respond' said a familiar voice.I turned to see those familiar blue eyes of Mr Mark Sloan. 

'Hello stranger'

' Laurel, I didn't expect to see you here, in a hospital of all places I thought you were allergic to these, I haven't seen you since new York' he said as we embraced. 

' -Still see your a womaniser' I said interrupting him

'Is that what you think of your godfather, Laurel, why would you say something so untrue '

'Because I currently have a brunette with eyes staring right at me who looks on the verge of tears, really Mark another wife of your best friend' I said as he quickly unwrapped his arms around me and turned to see the girl with eyes piercing my skull.

' I better go sort that, we need to talk Laurel' he turned to follow the girl ' oh and you just have to press the button that says pour' he said laughing

'Oh right, thank you, long night' I laughed as he left and I grabbed my coffee.