The Murphy

Season Two

When I wake up I have a massive headache. But the first thing I notice is that my hands are cuffed and there is a gag in my mouth. My eyes widened when I realize that I am laying in the back of the Mesa Pharmaceutical van alone.

"This is Citizen Z broadcasting on all frequencies. This is an emergency broadcast. Repeat, this is an emergency broadcast. Literally life and death for the human race. Now there's a man traveling among you. He's the only human known to have survived a zombie bite. His blood has the antibodies to create a vaccine. Now it is imperative that he be transported alive to the Centers for Disease Control Lab in California..." Citizen Z's voice drifts through the radio.

Through my groggy state I barely recognize his voice and I can't process much of what he's saying. I do know that he sounds panicked. He's worried about something. Somewhere in the back of my mind I wonder if the nukes have taken us out yet or not but the pain that shoots through my head takes all of my focus.

"This mans name is Murphy. Last seen in Fort Collins, Colorado. Six foot two. Dark hair. Numerous bite marks on torso. Known to control zombies and is possibly traveling with a kidnapped girl. She responds to the name Pasadena, she is five foot three, has red hair, and hazel eyes. Pasadena is possibly unarmed and is only dangerous if threatened. Murphy should be considered armed and dangerous. Keep both of them alive at all costs. Repeat, keep them both alive at all costs." Citizen Z continues.

"Look who finally decided to wake up. Slept through all the nukes, you missed a fantastic light show." Murphy comments when he opened the back of the van. I wince as the harsh light comes streaming through the open doors. He waits for me to say something before realizing that I am still gagged. "Sorry, that's my bad."

"The Center for Disease Control is offering an enormous bounty for Murphy's safe delivery to be paid in whatever form you desire. As well as being the first in line for any cure developed." Citizen Z finished causing Murphy to roll his eyes.

"Looks like your little buddy has taken a great interest in us." Murphy sighed as he looked down at my torn clothing. "You my dear need a costume change."

"Do I have a concussion or are you blue?" I ask squinting and he laughs.

"Yeah the vaccine did this to me." He says while helping me up. I notice for the first time that he is only wearing slides and a very small red and yellow kimono.

"Ew, what happened to your clothes?" I groan as I stepped away from him.

"I took them off when I shedded all my skin." He shrugged before leading me into an abandoned store. Murphy picked up some old hand held machine and placed an odd rectangular disk inside. "I bet you don't even know what this is. It's a walkman, it played cassette tapes before you kids got your fancy iPods and what not."

"Murphy..." I start uneasily when I see the growing number of z's coming towards us. He looks at them before tossing some clothes at one of them.

"You know Pasadena, the best part about traveling with me now is that you don't have to worry about z's anymore. They're all friendly as long as I am friendly." He states before his eyes land on a horrendous golden suit. "Oh I think this will do just nice. What do you think?"

"I think it'd make you look like a rejected disco ball." I say bluntly and he rolled his eyes before heading towards the changing room.

"Pick out something new for you to wear. This whole dead soldier look isn't doing you any favors." He says referring to my torn jeans, my bloodied guns and roses tee shirt, and my brothers old jacket. "Now, I'm going to one of the changing rooms. Don't think about escape because only I know where you're weapons are and don't think for a second I won't hesitate to sick these z's on you."