Home Sweet Zombie

A rustling to my side is what wakes me up. Quickly I stab my knife that is connected to my brass knuckles down on the couch I am laying on. My eyes flutter open and I see a flustered 10k kneeling besides me.

"The...blanket...I was just...sorry." He stutters and I look over and see Cassandra reading a magazine not looking at us but I did see the quick roll of her eyes. I notice Murphy and Doc playing cards in the room next to us.

"Sorry habits." I mutter to Ten who nods quickly with wide eyes.

"Scared of that one." Murphy says with a nod in my direction and I glared over at him.

"Best not to mess." Doc says as he played another card.

"You know if we breed those two it would be over for the zombies." Murphy says and him and Doc both laugh. I look up at 10k with a blush and I see there is one mirrored on his face. Cassandra scoffs with an eye roll before storming away.

"Where are Addy and Mack?" I ask sleepily noticing they aren't in either of the rooms I can see.

"They uh not so sneakily took the bedroom upstairs." He says and I nod.

"Oh, where are Garnet and Warren?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Outside admiring the landscaping." He says and I giggle.

"Ten, I'm still tired. I haven't slept on something this nice in ages." I say while stretching.

"Hey, just got back to sleep I'll wake you up if something happens." 10k says while brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear and I nod.

"Do me a favor, please. Make sure Doc and Murphy don't gamble away all my meds." I ask while glaring over to the two older men who were playing cards at the table.

"Puppies and kittens time to go!" I hear who I think is Warren scream through my drowsy state.

"Come on D we gotta go." 10k says wake me up carefully.

"Are you poking me with a stick?" I ask and he blushes.

"I didn't want to get stabbed." He says with a shrug and I laugh as I get up from the couch.

"Come on lovebirds lets go!" Murphy exclaims as he and Doc run out of the house. I blush at the same time as 10k does. Ten grabs my arm and pulls me out the door. I notice my backpack is already on his back and his rifle is in his other hand.

After driving for a while we stop so Mack and Doc can scavenge some parts from an abandoned car. Warren turned on the radio and we manage to catch Citizen Z's broadcast. He is warning us about the impending tornado and wants to know where we are. It's too bad we have no way to contact him. All we can do is hope for the best.

I sit in the bed of the truck while scribbling in an old notebook I found. Since we are on this mission to save humanity I figured I would document our adventures. Obviously I know Addy has been recording things on her camera but that isn't waterproof and it could easily break. Plus if we can't charge it or find something to upload old footage to it's useless. In my opinion the old pen and paper is more reliable.

"So, which way do we go?" Garnett asked rhetorically once Citizen Z had signed off.

"The storm is pushing north from the gulf. If we make it to the I-70, we can out run it." Warren suggested.

"That storm is going faster than that craptastic truck ever will." Doc said sarcastically.

"Yeah, we got to get off the road. You heard Citizen Z. We need to seek shelter." Garnett urged and the three of them continue to argue.