Zunami

Water. Water. Water. That's all my mind can think about. It's been a while since we left Kansas and now we're somewhere in Nebraska. We had to ditch the truck when we ran out of gas and we've been walking ever since. Those two bottles of water and the little bit of food Sketchy gave me didn't last long in our group. Neither did the alcohol. Though now in hindsight the alcohol probably made us more dehydrated. We haven't had food or water in days.

The sun is unrelenting and I can feel how weak my body is becoming. I don't know how much longer I can go. My question is answered when I take my next step. Instead of continuing on my legs buckle beneath me and I collapse. 10k tried to catch me but he too was weak from dehydration and we ended up falling in the street with me half on top of him. It took pretty much all my strength to roll off of him. We laid there in the road staring at the sky both feeling like all the moisture in our body is gone. At this point I'm not even sweating, that's how dehydrated I am.

"You know I heard once you can drink your own urine." Doc said, "But all I'm pissing is dust."

None of us respond; we are all too tired to. Since leaving S&S Limited I haven't been able to contact Citizen Z again. At this point though I wonder if we'll survive long enough to contact him or even if we'll ever see Addy and Mack again. I hope they're doing better than we are.

"Water isn't going to find you just sitting there." Murphy says and I don't even have the energy to glare at him. I just leave my head on 10k's chest and squeeze my eyes shut.

"Why are you so freaking chipper?" Warren asked Murphy annoyed. For some reason he is the only one who doesn't seem to be bothered by our lack of water. Which is surprising since he's the one always trying to hoard it.

"I've been wondering that myself. Maybe it's cause I conserve my precious bodily fluids." He says and I can practically feel Warren rolling her eyes. Suddenly I feel the ground rumble and then I hear it. I would have thought it was all in my head but I felt 10k tense besides me.

"What is that? Is it an earthquake?" He asked while sitting up. I don't have the energy to follow so I just let myself lay there on the rumbling pavement.

"More like a zombie-quake." Doc says while standing up and helping up Cassandra. I look over and see the largest wave of zombies I have ever seen in my life.

"Oh god, that's it, just leave me to die here." I grumble letting my head fall back onto my arm.

"Goddamn guys just won't quit." Warren whispers as we watch the wave get closer.

"I suggest we run for it." Murphy says and he starts to run, but he quickly jogs back realizing we aren't following him. "Come on people pick it up!"

"I...we...can't...dehydrated." Warren pants while leaning back onto a car.

"Come on keep moving!" Murphy says grabbing her arm and sprinting away. Doc and Cassandra follow. 10k moves to follow but I just lay there.

"D, we gotta go." He says reaching his hand down to help me up.

"Just just leave me here." I say slapping his arm away and he rolls his eyes.

"When are you gonna get it through your head? I'm not leaving you behind. Not ever." He says and I nod at the intense look in his eyes. He takes my backpack from me and puts it on. He then grabs my hand and pulls me up to run with him.

"Come on move it!" Murphy yells reminding me off one of those intense 40 year-old suburban moms that would have a jogging group in her neighborhood pre-z.

We run to the first open building we see. Warren holds the door open as two guys yell for us to wait. One of them makes it in time but the other was taken by the z's. As soon as Warren shuts and locks the door I collapse against a bookshelf.