V-ALBY AND WAY OUT

It was boring not being able to talk. I had to stay out of conversations, only listening and not being able to respond. It proved awful when Chuck told a funny story and I laughed with my mouth close. It scrapped against my throat and I was sore until lunch.

I didn't really need to take the other two pills but I took the second one just in case. Swallowing didn't hurt that much anymore and I was pretty sure that I was okay to talk now. But I waited until second break.

I had stuck with Chuck for the day, going with him as he did his job. Turned out he was a Slopper, the 'maid' of the Glade. It was sad, watching as he cleaned with a bored expression, so I helped him. He didn't complain, happy to be finished faster.

When the bell for the break sounded, I practically ran to the Med Hut, but the remembered that Chuck was with me. I slowed down and waited for the boy. I made a hurry motion with my hand and he stopped, putting a finger up and the other hand on his slightly bent knees. After what felt like forever he stood straight. "Ok, come on."

I barged into the hut, sitting on the cot, not giving Clint a second to register what happened. Jeff was here now, talking to Teresa about Alby.

"Okay then." Clint said slowly.

"Are you feeling better." I nodded my head rapidly.

"How's it feel to swallow?" I clenched my throat and waited for Clint to sigh. "Well if it doesn't hurt then it's ok to talk-"

"Finally." I cut him off. "Do you know how hard that was? To stay silent for nine hours straight. I thought I was a goner when Chuck made me laugh. But look I'm better. Not that it hurt that much to begin with."

"Well that may be fine, but the bruising has gotten a little darker." He poked at my throat.

I moved back. "What the hell man?"

"Just checking. I don't think we have anything for bruising. You're lucky it's not swelling."

"That makes me feel better."

"Good now get out of here." I stood up, making my way to the exit, but stopped as we passed Teresa.

"Hey Chuck, go ahead. Imma talk to Teresa."

"Okay." He smiled and left. I went to Alby section of the hut, pulling a chair beside Teresa.

"What finally made him calm down?" I asked.

"I had these syringe things in my pocket when we came up. Thomas thought it would help him, and it did."

"Oh."

"Is that what you wanted to talk about?"

"No, um, you're actually really calm. Do you remember the Glade?"

"No." She didn't look at me. "They said you were too calm too. Do you remember?"

"Its all too familiar. I guess that's why I'm not freaking out. I don't know. At least I didn't throw rocks at people."

She pushed my arm. "Well try waking up is a strange place with no recollection on how you got there."

I gave her a straight face. "I have. In the box. The only other person was you, but you were no help."

"I guess not." She stared at the sleeping boy. "I think we were sisters."

"That explains the connection I feel. And why Newt said we look familiar. But I have lighter hair and freckles."

"And you're shorter."

"I'm not short dude."

"Chucks almost your size."

"You guys are so mean." I pouted and jumped a loud boom scaring me. "The hell was that?"

"I don't think that was in the Glade. It felt to far."

"It did. I'll check. I'll be back later." I got up and ran outside, joking the small group of boys by the doors, it consisted of Gally, Chuck, Newt, Frypan, and Winston, Keeper of the slicers. "You all felt that right?"

"Aesara, you're not supposed to speak." Newt scolded.

"I just saw Clint. He said it was ok."

He nodded. Minho and Thomas ran out of the Maze, interrupting our small conversation. "What the hell is going on out there?" Newt demanded. The group moved with the boys. Want to know what happened.

"What the hell you done now Thomas?" Gally started.

"We found something," Thomas panted. "a new passage. We think it could be the way out."

"Really?"

"Yeah." Minho piped in. "We opened a door, something I've never seen before. I think it must be where the grievers go during the day."

"Wait you're saying you found the grievers home?" I didn't know if Chuck was excited or scared. "And you want us to go in?"

"Their way in could be our way out, Chuck."

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen grievers waiting on the other side. The truth is Thomas doesn't know what he's doing as usual."

Thomas stopped and turned on the taller Glader. "Well at least I've done something Gally. I mean what have you done, aside from hide behind these walls all the time?" Oh?

"Let me tell you something greenie. You've been here three days," Gally held up three fingers to emphasize it. "I've been here three years-"

"You've been here three years and you're still here Gally. So what does that tell you?" The two testosterone filled boys kept arguing, Gally saying that Thomas should be the leader. I rolled my eyes, seeing Teresa walk up to the group.

"Hey." She tried to get their attention but it was useless. I sighed and stuck my fingers between my lips, letting out a sharp whistle. It shut them up quickly. "Thanks Aesara." She turned to the group. "It's Alby. He's awake."

A small group went to visit Alby. Me, Newt, Minho, Thomas, Gally, and Frypan. Newt immediately sat next to Alby.

"Has he said anything?" Minho asked.

"No."

"Alby?" Newt said. "Alby are you alright?" Honestly Alby looked horrible. I didn't know how he looked before getting stung, but I didn't think it was this bad. He wasn't bad looking physically, but emotionally he was a wreck. He didn't even answer Newt.

"Hey Alby." Thomas kneeled infront of the leader. "Alby we might have just found a way out of here. Do you hear me? We could be getting out of here?"

Alby slowly looked at Thomas, a pained look on his face. "We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us." A chill went down my spine. They? Did he mean the creators.

"What are you talking about?" Newt said, softly.

"I remember." Alby answered.

"What do you remember?"

"You." He stared at Thomas. And then continued. "You were always their favorite, Thomas." I heard screaming from outside. "Always. Why did you come here?" Tears started falling down his cheeks. "Why did you do this?" He his his face in his hands, sobbing. I rushed out of the Med Hut, watching as boys ran by.

Winston passed by, carrying a torch, considering the sun had started to set, turning everything light blue. "Winston what's going on?" Thomas asked.

"It's the doors. They're not closing." With that he ran off.

The doors...aren't...closing? This could be bad.