XXIV-THE TRAIN

I sat behind a rock with Newt, the two other boys we recruited sitting behind the one behind us. It was quiet and hot out here, the only sound was the wind and the rubber from the goggles I played with.

"What's got you nervous?" Newt asked, his own goggles around his neck, readied to be pulled up at any moment.

"I don't know. It could be from the fact that we're about to take down a WICKED train." I stared out over the rock, waiting for Thomas's signal. There was no sound of the train yet.

"Well, it's not the whole train. Just one car. And then we'll have our Minho back." I didn't respond back, because he was right. But I doubted the train would be without WICKED soldiers. "I think a subject change will help with your nerves."

I hummed. "Yeah."

"I heard you and Thomas are together now."

I stopped playing with goggles and looked at Newt. My cheeks were on fire and the tips of my ears were no doubt red. "Who told you that?"

"Come on. It was so obvious. And you think I don't notice when neither of you are not in your hammocks at night?"

I blush harder. "That's only because I can't sleep at night. I didn't tell him to join."

Newt laughed like he didn't believe me. When he calmed down, he looked at me softly. "He cares for you, you know?"

I smile and look away. "Yeah. I know."

The floor vibrated and a loud chugging noise filled the air. A horn blew and I got on my knees to see past the rock.

A large metal monster chugged its way to us. It was still a bit away, but it was loud, echoing off the mountains around us. My heart started racing and my fingers tingled with anticipation.

"Here we go." Newt said under his breath. "Make sure your equipment is ready." He yelled over to the boys. They gave him a thumbs up, even though I saw them adjusting things.

The train was getting closer, louder, as its wheels grated against the rails. There was another sound behind the train. The hum of the jeeps from the Right Arm. Thomas and Vince.

The train was minutes away from reaching us and I couldn't stop myself from biting at the skin on my lips. When the front of the train passed us, it was so loud I had to cover my ears. The horn blasted and sent vibrations throughout me.

I watched as it kept going and feared that maybe they didn't make it in time. Maybe the soldiers got them. Then there was a sound so grating that it made my teeth hurt.

I watched as the front half of the train kept going and the back end slow to a stop in front of us. Thomas came around the train and whistled. I stood straight up, my nerves tightening every muscle in my body. Newt called out to the boys and pushed me to the train.

"Now is not the time to freeze up." Not like I had a choice.

There was a faint pounding and screaming. One of them sounded familiar. We got around to the other side of the car, Thomas telling us it was the first one. Newt and I dropped our bags, pulling out the torches. I put on my goggles and turned on my flame. It was hot even through the second layer of clothing I wore.

Vince climbed up the car with his bag of ropes. I traced the flame along the bolted-down connector. I was glad that I remembered to put my hair up or it would be singed right now.

There was a loud pop and then a ding by my head. I looked up and stared at the bullet indent. "Aesara hurry!" Newt yelled.

I continued to melt the connector, shaking now. They're shooting at us. But what did I expect? We technically were fugitives and happened to be hijacking their cargo.