XXXI-THE DAUGHTER OF MY MOTHER IS MY ENEMY

Some time has passed, not a long time, but long enough for me to take a small nap. I wasn't sure when I fell asleep, but someone knocking woke me up. When I didn't respond they tried the doorknob and I realized I forgot to lock it.

And guess who it was. The man of the hour. He surveyed the room. The damage I created from the hurt he manifested.

He walked over the pile of trash, crouching in front of me. "I know you hate me." I didn't confirm nor deny. "I'm sorry." Quiet. He didn't deserve my sympathy. "Aesara, please." He pleaded, but I still didn't look at him. He reached out for me. I moved away. He sighed. And sat in front of me completely.

We stayed in silence for a couple beats. But I didn't want to stay silent anymore. "You know, you're a real asshole." He let me speak. "Telling me you love me, you want only me, and that you would forget about her. I..." I swallowed. "I gave myself to you. I let you see me vulnerable. And this whole time you were lying to me." I laughed even though it wasn't funny. "God I'm an idiot. I thought that it could be better, you know? Maybe there is some good in the bad." I shook my head, looking at him.

He had tears in his eyes. "I didn't mean to hurt you. That was the last thing I wanted. I can't explain, or excuse anything. But I do love you. I wasn't lying."

"I know you weren't lying. There was no reason to. But you were lying to yourself. And honestly, I can't go further until you figure yourself out. But right now, we need to figure out what we're gonna do about Minho. And if we have to use Teresa then we have to do it."

He nodded. "Yea we're using Gally's plan."

I tapped my foot against the dusty floor, picking at my dry lips. I wasn't really anxious, I was just too wired. They had coffee back at the base and I drank two cups. Everything was supposed to go down tonight and I didn't want to be tired.

I was actually a little anxious.

It's been a long six months since I've seen Teresa and to be seeing her in this situation makes my stomach hurt.

"Aesara." I turned back to Newt. He nodded his head to the side. "I need to talk to you."

I got up and walked to him. "What's going on?"

"I wasn't sure when I was gonna tell you this, but I think I'm running out of time, so now is better than never."

"What are you talking about?" I gave him a confused look.

He pulled his jacket sleeve up, revealing blue veins that started from his wrist and went up to his forearm. I stared at it in horror. "When did it start?"

He pulled his sleeve down, farther than it should go. "A couple months ago. When we first got to the beach."

I stood back, tracing the time of events back. That means he caught it in the scorch. Either from the crank that attacked him or...me. "Newt-"

"Don't. Thomas told me you would blame yourself when you found out. But I don't blame you. There's a lot of factors that go into it, and I kind of always figured I was different."

Tears fell from my eyes without me realizing. Newt didn't have much time, not if he was already showing signs and his veins were growing.

For the second time that day, I was crying. I wanted to throw things again, but not in front of everyone. Instead I opted for hugging him tight. So this is why nothing else mattered but Minho. He wanted to make sure his friend was safe before...

"Aesara, it's fine. I never thought I'd make it this far anyway. And all I want is Minho back. Everything else can happen as it shouldn't."

I shook my head. "This shouldn't be happening. None of it. We don't deserve this."