XXVIII-THE LAST CITY

My ankle was on fire and when I pulled my pants up to check it, I saw glass and cuts litter it. I unlaced my boots and saw it was only at the top. I sighed and pulled out my med-kit, taking the small glass pieces out and pouring some alcohol, that I had in a small bottle, on it. Then I wrapped it in some bandages.

Thomas looked back, his hand grazing mine. I looked up, he gave me a concerned face. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I put my med kit away and leaned my head against the seat Thomas sat on.

"Did the crank get you?" There was worry in his voice. Obviously he remembered what Mary told us. I shook my head, tears once again begging to fall. "Hey." He lifted my head easily, not that I was putting up a fight anyway. He wiped the tears that slipped onto my cheek. "It's okay. You're here with us." I nodded and rubbed at my eyes, forcing the tears back.

"I'm impressed," Jorge said from the front seat. He pushed his metal window down. "You guys almost lasted a whole day."

Brenda turned back to us, shaking their head at Thomas. Who scoffed. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to bring you guys into this. I didn't even want to bring these guys." He pointed back at us. Brenda rolled their eyes at us and looked at Jorge.

"I think what he is trying to say is thanks for saving us." Frypan sat next to me.

"You're welcome." Brenda said softly before turning back to the front.

"Don't get your hopes up." Jorge said. "That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too."

"Yeah, unless they figured out another way to keep the cranks out." Newt looked out his window. The car stopped abruptly, throwing us forward. Sand flew through the air and I choked on it.

"The hell, Jorge!"

They climbed out of the car and I noticed what everyone was looking out. It was a city, a huge one, with towering buildings reaching well past the green hills that surrounded it. And all around it, was a destroyed city with smaller buildings that looked like they were stepped on by a giant.

The city resided in the middle, as if reminding the people that lived in the destroyed city that they were less than the people who lived in the new city.

The only thing that separated the cities, other than privilege, were tall walls, ones that looked like the maze walls but curved up in a dome shape. The city poked out of the top. I joined my friends at the edge of the hill we were on.

"Funny...we spent three years trying to break out of walls, now we're trying to break back in." I had to laugh. It wasn't funny, it really wasn't, but given the situation and what I have just been through, I think it makes sense that I should be laughing right now.

"It's hilarious." Frypan says in a not so humorous voice. I laughed even harder. "You okay Aesara." I fanned my hand, holding my mouth with my other one.

"I'm gonna go back in the car." I climbed back in and everyone followed me but Thomas and Newt. They walked farther to the edge, staring at the city. Newt told Thomas something. Something that made him look back at me and put his head down when he saw me looking already.

I made out the "Yeah." Thomas replied with.

The destroyed city was loud and crowded. People were walking everywhere and no one cared that they were bumping into each other. They just continued on their way. I tried not to touch anyone, but it was hard when everyone was in the way. I tried to stick in the middle of the group.

"This city has already been through hell."

"We just have to stick together." Thomas looked back and grabbed my hand, giving me a small smile.