XXXV-THE DEATH OF FRIEND AND FOE

Newt was heavy. Like heavier than he was a few moments ago. He was getting weaker, depending on us to carry him. It wasn't that I minded, what I minded was the fact that it was taking us forever. I wasn't strong, but Thomas had most of Newt's weight. I figured I was just reinforcement.

All the while, I was fighting off tears.

We pulled Newt through broken glass doors, into what looked like a station of some kind. Half of the lights were on.

"We're almost there, Newt. Stay with me." Newt leaned forward and I couldn't hold him up.

I fell onto my knees, Newt falling on his back. I panted, looking over at him. The black goo was worse, it stained his chin. His chest moved slowly, so slow that it looked like he wasn't breathing. Thomas checked his heart beat to make sure that he was still alive. He grabbed him under his armpits and dragged him.

"Thomas." I sobbed. He continued to drag Newt but ended up falling. "Thomas!" I got his attention. He was breathing hard and looked close to tears. "We can't take him the whole way." He closed his eyes, as if thinking.

"Thomas." Teresa's voice filled the station. It echoed in the empty space. "Can you hear me? I need you to listen. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back." Thomas stood up looking around. "Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick, because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back and this could all be over. Please, just come back to me."

Thomas and I looked at each other. "Go get the Serum." I looked at Newt who was still on the ground, he hasn't changed yet. "Aesara. Now."

My feet moved on their own. They retraced the steps to the tunnels without me having to remember where it was. The only thing on my mind was, get to Minho before it was too late. I pumped my arms harder. My arm burned but I paid it no mind. That wasn't important right now. I didn't matter right now. Only Newt.

The tunnels were still a few blocks away and my lungs were on fire, but I have trained for longer, so I knew that I could make it. I saw figures running towards me and I feared that it might be cranks, but I saw the tall lanky figure and a smaller muscular one. Behind them was a smaller person. Gally, Minho, and Brenda.

When they got closer, I yelled for them to toss me the serum. It was flying in the air, the blue liquid glinted in the fire, and then it was landing in my air.

I turned on my heel and made my way back to my friends. Please Newt, be okay until I make it back. The way back was harder, fire spread faster and smoke was everywhere. People were still fighting, bombs and guns going off. I had to dodge one, almost twisting my ankle. I cursed and pushed through the uncomfort.

I'm almost there.

I jumped through the broken window and turned into the station. I stared in horror at the scene before me. Newt pulled away from Thomas, his hand falling down to his side.. Thomas looked at his chest and then at him, surprise and concern in his eyes. Newt began to fall but Thomas caught him, laying him on the ground. And I saw what had happened. I wasn't sure of the exact events, but Newt stabbed himself. And from the way that he didn't move anymore...he was gone.

I screamed, running to Newt and Thomas. I kneeled beside Newt, his hand warm in mine, but it was going fast. Too fast. His eyes were still open and they were blank, devoid of any emotions and life. No, this wasn't happening. This was just a cruel joke. Newt was going to wake up and say just kidding.

Only, he didn't. He was still laying down, his eyes still open. Still not breathing. I laughed, wiping my eyes. "It's not funny, Newt. Just...just wake up. Everything's okay, we're going to be away from WICKED. Please wake up." I gripped Newt's clothes, shaking him. Someone pulled me away, but I struggled against them. "No. No. Newt's gonna wake up. Let me go!"