XXI-MOVING FORWARD

The camp was a mess the next day, and there weren't many people left from its originals. But we picked up where we had to and packed what we could. That also wasn't much. I tried being as much help as I could, but some things were too heavy to carry. I really wanted something to do, so I didn't have to look at the rows of dead bodies covered in white.

Doc being one of them. But now I know her name. Now that she was dead, it felt empty.

Tears burned my eyes and I fell to my knees before I could register that I was having a full blown panic attack.

They were dead, gone as easy as it was to snap your fingers. Chuck, Winston, and now Mary. And I had no idea if Minho was going to survive WICKED a second time. I did nothing to save them. You couldn't have done anything. My conscience tried to reason, but there was no reasoning with my already clouded mind.

There was nothing to do to save myself even. I put myself in situation after situation and only came out hurt. I left the group-granted it was to protect them-and got attacked by a group of cranks. Ran to Marcus and we know how that went.

Arms wrapped around me and I struggled against them until I heard Thomas's voice. "It's okay." His fingers went through my hair, gently working through the knots that have built up. "It's gonna be okay."

I held onto Thomas' jacket, clutching like if I let go, he was going to disappear too. "It hurts."

"I know." He said softly, because he was grieving too. He had lost the same people too. He sat with me until I stopped crying, but he stayed with his fingers through my hair. "You okay now?"

I nodded, wiping my face on my jacket. I looked at him and then down at the hard ground underneath us, blushing. "I probably look like a mess right now."

"I think you look fine. And who says you need to look like a goddess after crying your soul out." He lifted my head by my chin. "You're going to be fine. We'll get through this."

Another feeling of wanting to kiss him came over me again, but in this current state, I didn't think it was appropriate to. And besides, right now wasn't the perfect time to fall in love.

"Let's go join the others, yeah?" I nodded and he helped me up. Frypan was sitting on a rock, looking empty, Newt kneeled, placing one of the guards helmets in front of him, the most pained look on his face.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Fry asked from his rock.

"We pick up what's left of us." Vince said softly. "We stick to the plan, we get you guys to the safe haven." He stood up, surveying the destroyed land. "Then we start over I guess."

Thomas moved forward, standing ahead of me. "I'm not going with you."

"What?"

"I made a promise to Minho, I wouldn't leave him behind, I have to go after him."

"Hey, kid, look around you, all right? WICKED just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed."

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me."

"Thomas, listen to me." Newt said. "I've known Minho for...we'll for as long as I can remember. So if there is any way that we could help him...trust me, I would be up there standing next to you. This, what you're talking about. Is impossible."

"More like, suicide." Jorge joined our little group, Brenda in tow.

"Maybe. But I know what I'm supposed to do now." Thomas reached down and strapped a rifle on his back. "It's not about Minho. It's about all of us. It's about everyone WICKED's taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop, so I'm gonna stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige."

I stared at Thomas. I know Ava has done some things to us, but kill her? That was impossible, right?

"I have to admit." Harriet and Vince looked at each other. "I'd like some revenge."

"Well that's a good speech kid." Vince looked up at Thomas. "So what's your plan?"

Thomas stayed silent and in the awkwardness I had to laugh. "Thomas doesn't really do plans. He just rolls with the punches." I stood beside him, looking up to meet his eyes. "But they usually always help us. So whatever it is, you can trust him."

"Thanks Aesara." His hand found mine and he gave me a small smile. Now he addressed everyone else. "Let's go get our friends."