₣ł₣₮Ɏ-₴łӾ

Now playing

Now playing..

"Goodbye"
-Bo Burnham
////
"So this is how it ends, I promise to never go outside again"
•-•

Today is a gloomy day. Dark clouds, light rain, cold winds, everything similar.

However that type of weather is convenient because it's currently seven in the morning and I'm standing in a black dress in a funeral home.

Yes, you heard me right.

As if everything couldn't have gotten any worse, the only father figure I had left didn't make it.

I stood over the casket, Henry's lifeless body was dressed nicely in a black suit.

William stood next to me. I sniffled before tears streamed down my face. William embraced me.

His hugs were usually warm, though this time I didn't feel any warmer. He tried his best to comfort me.

  I noticed Henry's ex-wife and her children standing to the side. Charlie noticed me. Her face lit up and tried running over to me before her mother grabbed her arm, pulling her back.

   I looked up at Charlie's mother. She was giving me a look.

   Charlie called out for me but her mother walked away, holding both her children's hands. Charlie kept looking back at me, the sadness in her eyes quite visible.

I sighed when they walked out of sight.

I saw Michael standing near the beverage bar. I left William's embrace and made my way to Michael. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I've had better days." I said, whilst looking around in my peripheral vision.

  Michael gave me a hug. "Thank you." I said quietly. "I knew you needed one." He said.

   Audrey walks over, a drink in her hands.

I was about to speak but she cut me off. "No, it isn't alcohol." She smiles for a second.

"That's new." I chuckled lightly.

Michael cracks a smile and sips his own drink.

I walk out to the small balcony area. We were currently on the second floor.

   I lean onto the railing and watch the rain pour down. Audrey and Michael walk out with me.

"Depressing day for a depressing event." Audrey said. "Truth." I responded.

William walks outside and stands next to me. He takes my hand and kisses the top of it.

   I lean onto his shoulder. He wraps an arm around my waist, his hand resting gently on my hip.

  We all stared in silence for a second, the only sounds audible being the rain and the murmur of conversations from inside the large building.

  "We've all been through hell and back together." Audrey started. "Might as well keep going, right?"

I nodded. "It's.. especially tough right now, but we'll get through it. Henry would've wanted it."

At this point, we all had a drink in our hands.

"To Henry?" Mike suggested.

We raised our glasses before clanking them together.

"To Henry."

•———• end •———•

You heard it right folks. Sorry to end it off on such a short notice.

But, anyways, happy 4 month anniversary to this emotional train wreck of a book that somehow got attention.

  Thanks to everyone for reading, whether you've been here from the start, the middle, or if you're a new reader. This honestly was a great experience and a wild ride. Writing this and connecting with all of you has been surreal. 

But to wrap this sappy message up, I just want to say thank you for sticking with me to the end.

Have a great night/day.

Sincerely, Sarah.