My bare feet grazed the overgrown grass as I padded my way across the backyard towards the place that I had come to dread over the years. And just like every other time, my heart began to beat like crazy, feeling as though it would jump right out of my chest. My palms started to sweat, so I wiped them on my shorts, my nerves on high alert. Slowly pushing the door to the pool house open, I stuck my head in. Not seeing anyone, I dared to step inside before closing the door behind me. The click of the handle behind me made me jump, my weight coming down the floor causing a thud to sound. 

"Hello?" A gruff, deep voice sounded from the bedroom. 

Recognizing the voice, I tried to swallow down my fear, but it got stuck in my throat. My lungs were unable to push out a response. 

"Come here," he requested. Not daring to disobey, I forced my feet forward. I guess I wasn't going fast enough for him, as a few seconds later he repeated himself, this time coming out more like a command.

I sped up my pace, and before I knew it, I was only inches away from the entrance to the bedroom. My body stopped on its own accord, and I had to talk myself into keep moving forward. I put one foot in front of the other until I crossed the threshold to the bedroom. 

Silas sat on the edge of the bed and looked up at me expectantly when I entered the room. He looked me up and down, but not in the way that Deacon had done. Deacon had looked at me like a prize to be sold off; but with Silas, his gaze wasn't scrutinizing or make me feel like a piece of meat. I was slightly uncomfortable as he let his eyes wonder over my body. I bounced back and forth on my two feet as he continued to stare at me. 

After what felt like an eternity, his eyes finally flicked up to mine.

"You look good in my shirt." 'I blinked before turning my gaze towards the floor.

"Don't." The mattress let out a noise as he stood up. I tensed as I felt the warmth of his body grow closer. Rough fingers gripped my chin firmly, but gently. He tipped my head up until I was forced to look back into his dark orbs. 

"Don't you dare look away from me."

The commanding tone of his voice made my body start to have tremors; without meaning to, I let out a small whimper. Silas made a noise in the back of his throat sounding like a mix between a sigh and a growl, and I could tell he was getting mad. 

You are so stupid. You always do everything wrong. 

He tried to move his hand to my cheek, but I pulled away, shaking my head. My breathing became labored as I crouched into myself, willing my body to become as small as possible. I squeezed my eyes shut. My knees hit the floor as my hands flew up to cover my ears. My head began to pound from the torturous words and my fingers yanking my hair. I tried to block out the voices, but they kept coming and coming, like waves hitting a shore. 

You are so weak. No one will ever want you. You are worthless. You are nothing. You are a mistake. You are so stupid. You always do everything wrong. You are-

I felt a pair of warm hands tough me, but I pushed at them weakly. The nausea built up in my stomach, and my air was coming out in gasps. Tears streamed down my face as I continued to crouch in a ball-like position.

I could hear Silas saying something, but it sounded muted and garbled behind the voices in my head. And suddenly the hands were back, but this time, I didn't even have the strength to try to swat them away. One slid around my back until it rested under both of my armpits, while the other snaked its way around my lower back to rest right under my butt.

I had been right all along. He wasn't being nice because he was a nice person. He was pretending to be nice so that he could have his way with me.

This only caused me to sob more hysterically.