Part 4- Closing A Chapter.

Beginne am Anfang

"Because...he's our commencement speaker"
"What now?" Brenda scrunched.
"Yes, he's the one on the podium right now "

"That's him?! Christ Jesus! Hes hot!" Said Christian.

"Yeaahh, he pretty" Brenda drooled. "...but still, he did my home girl bad!"

"And apparently he's the CFO of some gold mining company called REGAL Corp."Christian said as he went through the brochure distributed earlier to themy.  "...this some real money we talking about here. Did you know that at just the age of twenty-nine, he's a holder of two degrees?! Medicine and business management, girl, that's a real role model over there"

"Must explain why he's so stuck up his sleeves" Maldives snorted.

"...and now Mr. Regan will do us the honors of presenting the awards to our best graduating students. Calling..."

"Uh-oh...It's time for y'all best graduating students to go receive your awards" Brenda announced.

"Thats your cue Mal" Chris nudged her forward.

"Mally! Lets go! Lets go! Hurry up, do you want us missing the picture of a lifetime?!"a woman who looked to be in her early forties said.

"Mummy I—" she protested as her mum pulled her up.

"Children of these days! What is it?! ...Oh hello there Brenda and Chris, congratulations to you two too"

"Thank you Ms. Coleman"

"Before I forget, I'm hosting a little family party at home to celebrate Maldives' graduation, you two are invited"

"A party? What do I need a party for? And where exactly is this party taking place mum?"

"Where else? Your apartment of course" she responded non-challantly.

"Ho—how? But you don't even have a key"

"I do have a key"

"Right. So you just walked right into my apartment, unannounced"

"Listen to me, I am your mother, I could even enter you if I wanted to" she stated, using her index finger for emphasis. "...it's nothing big, just a family dinner with your aunt Natalie, the neighbors and your friends. I am so proud of you, so of course I want to celebrate you, with the whole world if I could"

"Mum, you said you invited the neighbors. Asides the old man who stays in the room besides mine, I don't really talk to the neighbors, you didn't have to invite them"

"Shut up. You know in Nigeria, you don't need an invitation to attend an event hosted by a neighbor, that's the true spirit of neighborhood"

"Yeah, yet you guys kill each other" She mumbled to herself.

"What did you say?!"

"Nothing!"

"Humph! Let's go, it's almost your turn" she said as she pulled her along with her.

"Wish me luck guys" she mouthed to her friends and they cheered her up with their thumbs up.

"...presenting, best graduating student, financial accounting, and our overall second best graduating student, Maldives Coleman!" The speaker announced through the microphones as Maldives and her mother mounted the stage, and there he stood, with his right hand extended out, offering a handshake, one she wasn't sure he was entirely comfortable with.

With a face that held an unconcealable surprise, he mouthed the words she didn't think he'd be able to say, "Congratulations Miss Coleman"
She took the hand he offered to her and shook him, and in that instant, she felt a tingling sensation go down her spine.