-Chapter 22-

A while later, Chris and Caroline were at the hospital waiting room as they waited to be called to Valentina's delivery room. 

After an endless session of pacing the navy-blue carpeted floor, Chris managed to sit himself down beside his mom beside his mom on one of the monotonously grey waiting chairs narrowly aligned along the bare white walls of the corridor.

Sitting on the edge of the chair, he placed his hands on his knees with the intention to stop them from bouncing every five seconds. His eyes fell on the discoloring, sand colored water dispenser placed in the corner of the corridor, next to an artificial plant full of faux, olive green leaves. The sounds of the loud murmurs from the patients in the waiting room and the footsteps of nurses walking back and forth each minute seemed to get louder and louder. He walked over to the water fountain and picked up two worn out disposable cup, before pouring cold water for him and his mom and walking back to his seat.

"Relax, honey... its going to be fine" Caroline spoke up, frailly as Chris handed her the cup of water to drink.

"Yeah, I know I'm just a little nervous for Val" he breathed out, taking a quick gulp of the water, before crushing the frail plastic cup in his hand. "She told me child birth is a pretty serious thing with the women in her family. One of her aunts have died from it, her grandmother died giving birth to her mom, and her mom almost died giving birth to her" he stated.

"I understand, but this is the best Hospital in the city and the process of child birth has evolved over the past several years. She'll be taken care of" Caroline reassured, lifting her hand to place on his lap.

Chris glanced down at her hand as she rubbed it gently to calm it down. "Hopefully. She's been freaking out over the past few weeks about going into labor. I wish more of her family back in Italy were here. Maybe if they weren't all bastards who treated her horribly, she wouldn't have cut them off and they could get to see the baby.

"I know all about traditional Italian families, after all I came from one. The sexism and misogyny from not only the men, but from the women who agree with them too; it runs so deep and makes you feel so discouraged that you can't do anything. I understand why Val left Italy and moved to New York" said Caroline.

"Its sucks that she's having a kid with a guy who tried to kill her for leaving him, not to mention him and his whole family are extremely dangerous... I just want the best for her and the baby" he sighed, slightly lowering his head.

"I know you do, honey... she's lucky to have you as a friend" Caroline muttered as she trailed her hand up to his shoulder.

His eyes flickered over at the black-framed wall clock for what seemed to be the millionth time in the past twenty minutes, scrutinizing the second hand, which seemed to linger an extra minute at every passing second. He took of his gaze off of the clock, silently vowing to not look at it once more. 

He sat silently in his seat as a thought rapidly swarmed his mind. Hearing about their endless conversations over the past few weeks, he knew that she would want to be here today. She was just as hopeful and excited about the birth of the baby as he was, but living in a different city made it so much harder. Moments later, he slowly pulled out his phone from his pocket and switched on, before he went to his messages. If she couldn't be here, then the least he could do was to let her know, even though he found it difficult to speak with her again during what happened between them on Christmas Eve. He pushed away his thoughts and ran his fingers through his hair. His fingers slightly hovered over the screen whilst he re-read the last message he had left for her. He paused for a brief while, before pushing away his thoughts once again and was about to start texting her, but was quickly interrupted by someone walking up to them.