-Chapter 5-

It was late evening in New York and Chris and his mom were driving over to Max Richardson's mansion for his small charity gala.

Chris stared out the window from the passenger's seat at people passing by. After a while, he turned to look at his mom as she gripped onto the steering wheel, with her eyes fixated directly on the road. Despite that, she was very much lost in her thoughts and ended up running a red light, almost crashing into a car coming through from the left.

"Shit" Chris cursed. He quickly reached over to the steering wheel and pulled over nearby, before going to unbuckle his seat belt. "I'm driving" he spoke sternly, pushing the passenger's seat open.

"Chris, I got it okay. I know how to drive, that was a simple mistake" Caroline groaned.

"That's the third red light you've ran over in the last fifteen minutes, mom. You're obviously distracted so if you don't wanna end up killing us both before we get where we're going, then let me drive" he rolled his eyes and stepped out the car; adjusting his tie, before heading over to the driver's seat.

As he opened the door, Caroline stared up at him for a little while, before sighing loudly and getting out to head to the passenger's seat. Once they were settled in, he looked back at her, before driving off.

They drove in silence for a long while, not bothering to turn on the radio to ease the quietness as it would've made it worse. Ever since he's been in New York for a month and a half now, he's gotten to know his mother like he's never known her before. He'll admit the only reason he came to her at first was due to the fact that he didn't want to be alone, and although their relationship wasn't all sunshine and rainbows and like a normal mother, son relationship, for now she had him and he had her.

"How's uh your friend?" Caroline spoke up, bringing out a small mirror from her purse to look at herself.

"Val...?" he muttered as she briefly nodded. "She's good. She came back to town yesterday, but she didn't even tell me where she went. I'm just worried about her and the baby, especially since her baby father is a raging abusive psychopath and she's been having nightmares about him".

"Frank, you've told me about him. I gotta say when I put his uncle in jail several years ago, I had a feeling more of his relatives would be lined along with him. They give us Italians a bad name" she scoffed, bringing out a cigar and a lighter from her purse to slowly light it. "Speaking of psychopaths, I'm thinking of taking on another case with a client who's around your age. He accidentally shot and murdered his house help late at night thinking it was someone breaking into his family home. They're basing it of his history with mental health issues, you know how it is... he's a white kid with a bright future ahead of him and his parents are looking to me to make sure he stays out of jail" she stated, blowing her cigar smoke in the air. 

"Let me guess you want me to talk to him because you think that I have some kind of mental health issues of my own that he can somehow relate to... because I'm fucked like he is, only difference is I haven't killed anybody?" Chris questioned, turning to glance over at her.

"That's not what I'm saying-"

"Look, why don't you just call, Anna" he breathed out gripping onto the steering wheel as silence quickly brewed around them. "I've been helping you with some of your cases for the past week, and I don't mind it, but I'm not your assistant, she is, so just call her and apologize for how you hurt her and how you didn't mean to say all those things".

"I did her a favor..." Caroline uttered, sticking her arm out the window.

"That's what you said the last time, but I really don't get what you mean by that, mom" Chris sighed, stopping the car at a red light.