The Underwater Kiss

Percy approached Annabeth the next week. "I want to talk."

    Annabeth thinned her lips, narrowed her eyes, and put her hands on her hips. "And why should I talk with you after what you did?"

      Percy bowed his head. "I — I want to apologize."

     Annabeth snorted. "You mean you want to trick me again. I'm not falling for it, Seaweed Brain."

      "No, I'm serious," Percy said. "Please, meet me tomorrow at the swimming pool in the red at 6:30."

      "Why should I?" Annabeth repeated.

       Percy bit his lip. "Closure?"

      Annabeth sighed. "Fine, but you better give me the best closure I've ever gotten."

****

    Annabeth met Percy outside the rec the next day in the evening. Annabeth has been working hard on revising her thesis and this was the only reason she was taking a break. After swiping in at the front desk with their cards, they went their separate ways to the locker rooms. Annabeth changed into her light green and grey swimsuit and took off her silver owl earrings. She showered and grabbed a white, fluffy towel.

The indoor pool was large and smelled of chlorine. Annabeth spotted Percy and marched towards him. "You have some explaining to do."

"Ummm, we can do that in the water?" Percy asked.

He gave Annabeth a wide-eyed look, but she shook her head and judo-flipped him. "Your seal eyes won't work now. This is for lying to me."

A lifeguard blew a whistle. Another one ran towards them. "Miss, you cannot do that!"

"You're kicked out for the day and if you ever do that again, there will be stiffer consequences!" another added.

Annabeth shrugged and helped Percy to his feet. She stalked off to the locker room and changed. When she left the rec, she was surprised to see Percy waving at her. "We can still talk," he said.

They walked step-in-step towards a trail and then on it. Annabeth's hair was still wet, causing her to feel the chill of the air more strongly. The only sound was the gurgling of a stream that the trail followed. "It's quiet here," Percy said. "I can explain everything."

Annabeth folded her arms. "You have a lot of explaining to do."

Percy nodded. "I was thinking about what my mom said and maybe I'm a Seaweed Brain, but I think I'd trade immortality for a chance with you any day."

Annabeth stopped walking. "Is this another trick?"

Percy shook his head. "I already turned in my letter of resignation and received this back."

He handed her a letter written in gold ink:

Perseus Jackson,

What you've done is unfathomable. To give up immortality for a human is silly. I cannot imagine what you are thinking. If you wish to make this final, you must mail up your wings. After we receive them, you will be stuck on earth and live out the rest of your days as a weak, mortal human.

From,
Satan

   Annabeth gaped at Percy. "I already mailed up my wings," he told her.

    "And how am I supposed to believe that?" Annabeth demanded, setting her eyes into a stony gaze.

     Percy nodded. "You don't have to. It's your choice. I just — I really care about you."

    Annabeth looked at him — his sea-green eyes, messy hair, and tanned complexion. Something about him seemed so genuine. "Race you to the stream!" she said

      "That's not fair!" Percy protested as she hared ahead. She reached the stream first and then took off her outer layers, so she was only in her swimsuit. It was cold and the water was icy as she stepped in it.

     Percy jumped into where the water was deeper, splashing her. "Hey!" Annabeth said. "That's not fair."

    She swam over and splashed him; he sent a wave back. They were both soon shivering and soaking wet.

      "Annabeth," Percy said. "Do you want to be my girlfriend? Obviously, you don't have to and I understand if you don't."

    Annabeth cut him off by pulling him underwater. He responded by kissing her; it was the best kiss Annabeth had ever received and the only one that had been underwater.