Reconciliation

Annabeth was eating a grilled cheese pesto sandwich and working on a blueprint for her capstone architecture class when Percy approached her. He was grasping the straps of his blue backpack and shifting from side to side. Annabeth met his gaze.

He cleared his throat. "I wanted to apologize."

Annabeth raised one eyebrow. "You tried to tell me who I should and should not talk to. That's manipulative and controlling."

Percy sighed and looked down at his feet. "You're right. I was being overprotective. You're a better judge of character than I am."

Annabeth sat up straighter. "Indeed. Now, it seems you want my forgiveness. You may be insufferable, but I suppose I can oblige."

     Percy smiled. "Would you oblige me a trip to Ella's Bookstore."

     "I haven't heard of that," Annabeth said.

      "It's this cozy, little bookstore that sells new and used books," Percy said. "I thought you might want to check it out."

     Annabeth raised one eyebrow. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

     Percy turned as red as one of Helios' cattle. "I — I. You're not making this easy!"

    Annabeth tossed back her head and laughed. "I'm never going to make it easy for you, Seaweed Brain. Get used to it."

***

"You're going on a date?" Thalia asked.

Annabeth nodded. "It's Friday night. I'm a bit nervous."

"Is this your first date with Percy?" Thalia asked.

    Annabeth shook her head. Her cheeks tinged pink as she caught Thalia up on all that had happened between Percy and her. When she finished, Thalia's blue eyes were as wide as an owl's. "This is why I swore off dating men. It's too much drama."

     Annabeth sighed and shifted on her bed. "I suppose I get it, but I like him. I don't know why. He's infuriating and annoying and so dumb sometimes, but he's also loyal and fun to be around."

      Thalia elbowed her. "Sounds like you two might compliment each other well."

     Annabeth gasped in mock surprise. "Are you shipping us?"

    Thalia furrowed her brows and then smiled. "And what would we call your ship? Annancy? Percanna? Annercy? No, Percabeth sounds better."

    Annabeth laughed. "Come on. Enough boy talk. How is school going?"

    Thalia's smile widened and looked more genuine. "I got an internship."

    "Nice," Annabeth said. "Where?"

     "For the local nature conservatory," Thalia said. "It's twenty hours a week."

     "Is it paid?" Annabeth asked.

     "I get a meager stipend," Thalia said, "which is better then nothing."

    "Why do they want us college students to live like plebeians?" Annabeth said.

    "Because they want most people to be shackled down in debt to control them for the rest of their lives," Thalia said.

    Annabeth swatted her friend. "You're so cynical."

    "Nah, I just am politically involved," Thalia said.

    "Remember when you ran for student council in high school?" Annabeth asked.

    Thalia smiled widely. "I remember denouncing the administration as racist."

    "Didn't they smear your campaign?" Annabeth said.

    "Yeah," Thalia said. "They couldn't handle the truth. A lot of people cannot. We'd rather believe a beautiful lie than believe that our country is founded on racism and prejudice and until we can recognize that, things won't change."