A Trip to Heaven

Annabeth looked up from her phone as she heard someone say her name. It was Percy. Annabeth put her phone away and watched him walk closer. "You look wonderful," he remarked.

     Annabeth was dressed up in a grey blouse and black jeans. Silver owl earrings from her father adorned her ears and she had applied some lip gloss and mascara. She took note of Percy's black slacks and jacket. "You look nice too," she said. 

     They had decided on eating a picnic in the sculpture garden on campus. The sculptures looked surprisingly lifelike, but most of them had horrified expressions on their faces that didn't match the vibe of a date.

    Annabeth and Percy set out their picnic blanket and sat down. Annabeth saw two figures walking hand-in-hand. "Juniper, that looks like my uncle Ferdinand," a gangly, curly-haired man said.

       Annabeth and Percy exchanged glances. "I would hope I don't end up portrayed as one of those," Annabeth said, pointing to the statues.

     "You're more beautiful than any statue," Percy said, taking their lunch out of the picnic basket.

    Annabeth laughed. "No, I'm serious," Percy said. "You look all angelic and stuff like an angel."

    Annabeth rolled her eyes and crossed her arms in front of her. "Well, you don't know me then, I'm no angel,"

    "I want to get to know you," Percy said, handing her a sandwich.

     "You're lucky I'm forgiving you for being a Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said between bites of the sandwich.

     "I am truly blessed," Percy said.

     "Is that sarcasm I detect?" Annabeth asked.

     "Sarcasm?" Percy scoffed. "Me?"

       "You're so infuriating!" Annabeth said, playfully bowling him over.

     "Hey!" Percy protested, pushing her off of him and rising to his feet. "You didn't give me a chance. That's not fair!"

     "Catch this then!" Annabeth said, throwing an apple.

     Percy caught it and took a bite. "Delicious."

     "Ahh, you just ate the forbidden fruit," Annabeth joked.

     Percy pretended to faint and choke on the apple. Annabeth squatted and humored him by pumping his chest as if she was going to do CPR. "This is not the apple from Snow White. You have eaten it and now know of good and evil."

     "I know," Percy said.

     He bowled her over and she fell, laughing on her back. She wriggled, but Percy had her pinned down. "You insufferable demon!" she said.

     Percy smirked. His jacket must have unzipped during their fight and the blue t-shirt he wore underneath contrasted beautifully with his tanned skin.

    "Hey!" someone yelled. "No PDA here."

     Percy stood up. Annabeth got to her feet and saw the two they had overheard talking earlier giving them the side-eye. Percy leaned over towards Annabeth. His breathe was warm on her ear as he whispered, "Want to find a more private place?"

     Annabeth couldn't believe this was happening, but she nodded.

****

    Annabeth woke up in a unfamiliar bed. Her eyelids felt heavy as she gazed at the figure beside her. She struggled into a seated position and Percy's eyes flew open. Annabeth said the first thing that came to her mind. "You drool in your sleep."