chapter 85: Always, Cher...

Chenle

"When you hear your name, come beside me, please," says the man who's wearing a white coat and a notebook in his hands; who I presume is the doctor.

I have never been as shocked as I am right now, my heart is going wilder as ever and so are my pulses. There's no way we're losing her out of our grip, she can't leave us alone, she can't leave me, she promised.

"Ambrose. Neely. Berky. Nels..."

The doctor starts calling out the names of different families, and when they recognise theirs, they stand up in a rush and hurry beside the young man.

Everyone here are holding in the same feeling; sadness. Tears and moans were all we could hear in the past two hours. At one point, I couldn't hear anything because it was driving me crazy, so I had to go outside from time to time, leaving dad alone here. He too was crying.

"Presley...McBroom."

Dad stands up so quickly as if something has possessed him and I stand up at my turn. We walk next to the doctor and wait.

My legs are shaking, it feels like they can't support my body anymore. My eyes fall on a little boy who's cuddling with his teddy bear, lips trembling, he's crying. I look elsewhere before I drift there as well, then I push my glasses up on my nose.

"Follow me, please," says the young doctor.

We turn around and follow the man out of the waiting room, leaving some people behind with their moans. Dad puts his arm around my shoulders, bring me closer to him as we walk silently.

I hate hospitals, I hate the smell of it and I hate to see people suffering like that. It is painful to know that this place was the place where so many people lost their beloved ones.

We enter the emergency center, my heart is pounding in my chest. The last time we entered this place was two years ago; two long years ago. Time seems to repeat itself over and over again.

Dad's arm tighten around my shoulders and when I look up at him, he's biting his lip, fixing something in front of him. I can see the pain on his face, the grieve and the hardship. It breaks my heart even more.

He was joyfully watering the flowers in the background when the house phone rang, and I was in bed, crying. Since he wasn't taking the phone, I rushed downstairs and pick it up myself. If only I knew what it was, I wouldn't have left my bedroom.

When I heard the news from the mouth of this woman, it felt like my world has collided, as if it wasn't already on the edge to break before the call.

I dashed outside, missed a step and fell down on my knees which are hurting at the moment, then I told him everything in the background. I remember, he felt on his knees too. He was devastated.

"Your family member is inside, I will let you in, but no noises, please, they need pure tranquillity. There are already nurses inside who are going to clarify your questions." Then he opens the door and we walk inside.

The room is full of people, all of them are women, lying on single beds, covered with blue sheets. Something which looks like a white curtain separates each beds. All of them are deeply sleeping, attached to cables and machines.

"Your name, please." A nurse dressed in green appears in front of us.

"McBroom," dad mumbles.

"Follow me."

We follow her until we reach the last bed. The first thing I see is another nurse waiting there, hands behind her back. But then, when we walk behind the white curtain, my heart splashes into multiple pieces.

Dad gasps besides me and places his hand on his mouth to prevent himself from making noises.

My sister is right in front of me, in touched, but I'm so scared to walk closer. She looks so fragile and out of life, her stomach is scarcely moving, and the machine beside her– the one which is suppose to detect the way the heart is working–is going pretty slow, the line is making a few waves and some are straight, then back to waves.

She has no wig on her head, instead it is wrapped around a white cast, hiding her forehead as well, just the way she was two years ago. Her arms aren't casted, thank you God, but her legs are, both of them.

Her white lips are coated with a few cuts, her left cheek has another cut that looks deeper. Her chest is wrapped around a grey clothe, which is attached somewhere behind her.

"Oh my baby," dad mumbles as he touches her fingers.

I look away for a moment, trying to recollect myself. She looks so helpless in front of us, as if her life depends on one line only.

"Mister McBroom, please, don't touch her," says the nurse to my dad who takes his hands away quickly.

"It can transmit bacterias to her," explains the nurse again.

Dad nods and wipes his eyes. "Can I know what she has?"

"Of course." The woman grabs a carnet from the small table that is next to her bed and starts reading.

"So, Miss Cher McBroom here has a severe concussion at the back of her head, also a wound at the left side of her head where she got hit by something. Her right ankle is fractured as well as her knee. Her left thigh was opened by an object and her calf is slightly injured. Now for her breasts, she has breasts contusion, from what the doctor said, it will heal in the coming days."

"What about the other injured parts of her body?" Dad asks in a low voice.

"They will require lot of rest and continuous treatment."

I cannot believe the pain she will have when she will get her conscious back. Looking at her is like paining myself. Oh my God, how could such thing happen to her... again?

"D-do you know how-... how it happened?" Dad asks even though we both know how it happened.

"All I know mister is that their bodies were found in a house not so far from the port of Rio de Janeiro," she says.

I close my eyes and bite my lip. Their bodies, there was someone else, or many people with her.

Every time my eyes are falling back on her, my fingers are slowly pleading me to touch her, but I can't go against the law, she said that we can't touch.

"Can you leave us a moment alone with her?" Dad asks. The woman looks at us for a moment then she nods and walks away.

When she is gone, dad walk towards her head and bends down but stays immobile. I walk to him and put my hand on his back when he starts sobbing. I can feel the tears rising up my eyes, blurring my vision.

"You need to be strong Cherry, you can't leave us, not now. Your daddy needs you and Chenle as well," dad whispers.

"Who is the strongest girl on earth? It's you Cherry. No one and nothing can beat you down. We will wait beside you until you open your eyes and look at us. We will be here with a smile on our face... We-we will wait for you Cherry. Always."

Always.

The End.

This is unfortunately, the last chapter of this book: The Saint Jones♡

Okay, I'm going to shed a tear real quick & see you my loves in the next chapter where I'll say everything.

Love you. ♡