chapter 54: He Cares

Cher

Stunned and confused as never before as I look up at him, at his shield, watching a tear sliding down his cheek, towards his chin. I want to reach out and wipe it off, but I am afraid he will get angrier at me.

I have no idea how he saw me, us, Zeke and I, but he certainly was around the corner. So he saw it all, that must be the only reason he is reacting like that in front of me; like an hysteric. He saw him stroking my cheeks, he saw him leaning on me and he saw him kissing my cheeks. He saw it all and is now impatiently waiting for an elucidation.

I know that I did nothing wrong and out of place but the way he is doing and talking to me is making me think overwise. The way he is reacting is making me feel like I did something really bad, like cheating when it was not close to that. Zeke is my friend and that should be clear from now on.

"He is a friend," I say but I think something else could have been better as he starts chuckling bitterly, stamping one foot on the floor.

"Really?" He asks, sarcasm lingering in his mellow voice.

"Really. He came to see if I was okay because we had not met for days since the docking, so he called me and asked if it was possible for him to–..."

"So he has your number and I not?" He asks painfully, jealousy possessing him completely.

I do not know if I should take this as a joke or seriously. Now he is getting jealous over a number? I mean, I know I have not given him my number yet, but he too, he never asked me for mine and never gave me his. Where is all this jealousy coming from? Really...

"Are you serious?" I blurt out with a sudden temper rising up my throat.

"Yes, I'm fucking serious!" He almost yell at me but refrain himself.

I want to shed in tears, to fall apart right here in front of him as I can feel the blow in my chest. I am not good at fighting with the people I love and admire, and I admire him or love him, I do not know, but I cannot see us being in bad terms like that. I know I did something pretty bad, maybe I should not have let Zeke inside the room, but it was simply friendly and nothing much.

He groans and starts pacing in front of me, hands on his head. Tears finally slide down my face, tickling me generously, I wipe them off quickly, the fact that he will see me crying is not definitely something I will fancy, I do not want him to see the weak part of Cher, because I do not need someone else to be behind me as if I was a kid.

"I did nothing," my voice betrayed me perpetually. He turns around, takes his sunglasses off, his eyes are red and watery. That was what he was hiding.

I do not know what tempered his anger; the sight of me crying or my broken voice? Whatever, he is now looking at me, lips quivering.

"Don't cry, please." He comes forwards, hands on my shoulders now.

I look up at him, melting in his beautiful colourful eyes. It soothe me completely, it makes me feel better as if it has something magical into it, something no one can explain, something out of the regular. But through them I can behold pain and anger, something I have never detected in others eyes before. His eyes are definitely an open door on another world, another life and another universe.

He sighs and gently pushes me into him, his arms wrapping tightly around my back. I take this moment to sniff his scent completely, to memorize his sweet, familiar perfume. He smells so good. My head against his chest, I listen to his heart beat and focus myself on the way his chest is moving up and down profusely.

If I could stay like that forever, I would. It feels nice to be that close to him, it feels new and astonished. The way his heart beats, the way he breaths regularly and intensely. It feels nice.