「Phase 11」The First Trial

Start from the beginning

"We can perform on the same stage as Rina-sama?!" Hinata whisper-shouted. After all her previous research into the academy, she expected the announcement about the trial, yet the showcase had completely taken her off guard.

"So soon, too. Aino Rina really is something else..." Tsubaki added, deep in thought.

Mai placed her hand on her heart, giving a soft smile. "My heart is pounding even just thinking of standing on the same stage..." she said, "But I think it's worth trying." She looked towards her two friends, and the two nodded.

"Let's do this!"

─── 。゚☽: * .♡. * :☾ ° . ───

Not long later, the three were stretching in a lesson room, discussing the events of the assembly.

"To think we really get to perform in the same showcase as Aino-senpai... it's hard to believe," Mai said, and Hinata crossed her arms.

"It's strange. I've heard of these 'trials' before, but never a showcase like this."

"If you ask me," a fourth voice rang out, "Rina's being lazy."

Directing their attention to door, the three found Aya poking her head in. Whilst Tsubaki rolled her eyes, Mai's face lit up.

"Fuyuki-senpai!"

"The one and only!" Aya declared, letting herself in. "You're talking about the Celestial Trial, right?"

Tsubaki sighed. "What do you mean by Aino-senpai being lazy?"

"Well," she began, taking a seat on the floor, "What they failed to mention in the assembly is that these trials are chosen by the reigning Celestial Star. Harune Naru always thought of exciting trials in her two-year reign. Rina, on the other hand..."

"I think her approach is exciting," Mai quietly stated, "It's such a big chance, at least."

"Agreed. Honestly Fuyuki-senpai, your bias is showing through," Tsubaki scolded, as Hinata watched in confusion.

"I didn't know it was possible to dislike Rina-sama..." she said, "After all, she's perfect!"

"She'd hardly perfect," Aya muttered, but shook her head. "You three are planning on taking part, I'm guessing."

Mai nodded. "What about you?"

"I'll pass... I might watch though, so do your best."

"You're really not taking part?"

"I want the first time I stand alongside the Celestial Star on stage to be more... climatic, I suppose? Then it'll be even bigger news when I outshine her." She stood up, and posed in a dramatic fashion, causing Mai to giggle.

"Anyway, I'll be off now!" Aya said, "Good luck with your practice!"

With that, she exited, before sighing.

"Everyone really believes Rina's perfect, huh?" she muttered to herself, glancing at her hand with a sad expression. Then, her expression became more determined, and she clenched her fist. However, as she made her way down the corridor, she noticed a familiar brunette sitting alone in a classroom, sketching. Aya watched for a moment, but as she was about to leave, the brunette looked up.

The two made eye contact.

To Aya's surprise, Rina smiled, giving a small wave. Swallowing her pride, Aya opened the door.

"Long time no see, Aya-chan," Rina said, her smile warm. However, Aya didn't give the response the Celestial Star was hoping for, instead silently taking a seat. She quickly glanced over to Rina's sketch, resisting the urge to express any trace of amazement on her face.