Chapter Thirty-Five

“Well, you did it,” Ed said.

“The awards ceremony will be in about fifteen minutes. They just have to get all the ribbons ready, and your trophy.” Jason informed me.

“Alright. Cool.”

I blew out a few breaths to calm myself down. I couldn’t believe that I really done it. I had won the gymkhana.

“Okay, why don’t you hop off and give Zaltana a little break,” Ed said.

I got off and landed swiftly on my feet. 

“You did really great, Kayla,” a voice from the past said behind me.

I turned around slowly.

“Jackson!” I exclaimed.

I threw my arms around him and he chuckled softly.

“Amy told me that you were going to be doing a show. I had to come.”

“I love you, Jack.”

“I love you, too, sweetheart.”

He planted a kiss on my cheek and I felt so elated. 

“It’s good to meet you, Jackson. I‘m Jason.” Jason said, reaching out his hand.

Jackson shook it as Ed eyed him up and down. Jackson was wearing a skull necklace and his dark grey jeans that had images of just about everything on them. Birds, a whale, you name it.

“Nice to meet you,” Ed finally greeted. “I’m Ed.”

“Great to meet you, too,” Jackson replied.

Taylor and I stared at each other then and I couldn’t believe I was seeing jealousy in his eyes. He knew how much I loved him, and, hopefully, that Jackson was way too old for me. Jackson was my best friend. He had been my sole comfort when I lived with my mom and Tom. Billy had been there for me, just not consistently. 

“Honey, it’s alright,” I mouthed to Taylor.

He didn’t respond.

“So, do you want something to eat now? Seeing that you’re not so likely to throw up?” Emma asked me.

I shook my head.

“You should eat something, Kayla,” Jackson urged.

“You know me. I don’t eat until, like, a week after a rather stressful event has come my way.”

“Yes, Kayla. I know.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“You didn’t eat until two days after your eighth grade math final. A little dramatic, don’t you think.” Jackson said.

Emma, Amy, Ed, and Jason all laughed. Taylor didn’t even smile. 

“Well, I’m going to go get a hot dog and shove it down your throat if you don’t consent to eat something on your own.”

“Thanks, Emma. Fine. I’ll eat something.”

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Jackson answered.

“After the awards ceremony.”

“But wouldn’t it be funny if you…upchucked on Wes?”

“Not if he takes my trophy and my ribbons back, Emma.”

“I’m going to go get you some food. Why don’t you stay here with your horse and bond?”

“Whatever you say,” I said.