Chapter Twenty-Six

I returned to the stables everyday for the rest of the week. Ed and I just focused on making Zaltana better at all the events. I was happy to see that we didn’t have to work that hard to that. Zaltana already seemed be to a pro at everything, but I knew there was always room for improvement. 

On that Monday, Jason said he was giving all the horses a break. Personally, I thought the only horse that needed a break was Zaltana because I never saw the horses getting ridden, but I guess Jason, Ed, and Taylor had some way of getting them exercised.

So, that day, Amy and Emma were out running errands all day. Amy had forced her to come with, and I was kind of glad for that because now Freddy and I could have time alone time together. I really wanted that. It felt like she and I hadn’t been spending enough time with each other. But that was probably because she was still acting weird. I just hoped maybe some one-on-one time would cheer her up.

Freddy was still asleep when I got up that morning, so I went downstairs to wait. Then, after awhile, I got hungry and headed into the kitchen to try to find something to eat.  There wasn’t much, though. So, I just grabbed an energy bar, and then as I was heading to the living room, I heard the phone ring behind me.

I picked it up.

“Hello?” I said.

“Oh…hey, Kayla? Is that you?” Taylor voice came from the other line.

“Yeah. What’s up?”

“Nothing much. I just wanted to call you.”

“Thank you. I’m glad I got to hear from you today. What’s going on at the stables?”

“Well, the horses get a day off, but Jason, Ed, and I have to clean up around here. Actually, we’re going to try to fix the piece of the fence your horse broke through in a little bit.”

“How is Zaltana doing?”

“She’s fine. Ed’s taking good care of her. Don’t worry.”

“I miss you,” I said.

“I miss you, too, honey,” Taylor answered. “Are you doing all right?”

“Yeah. How are you doing?”

“Tired, but good.”

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and then I turned around. It was Freddy.

“I have to go,” I said.

“I’ll see you soon, Kayla.”

“You, too. Bye.”

“Bye, sweetheart.”

I hung up, put the phone away, and then went to go find Freddy. She was standing right by the kitchen, and she didn’t have a smile on her face, but it wasn’t a frown either. Her mouth was just a straight line.

“Hey,” I said softly. Freddy didn’t say anything back. “What’s wrong?” Her lips remained shut, and then I noticed she seemed to be keeping something behind her back. “What are you hiding?”

Freddy got an almost desperate look on her face, and then I knew this couldn’t be good. She then pulled out a gun and held it tentatively in her right hand. My heart began to pound because I didn’t know what the gun was for until Freddy held it up to her own head.

“You know how we were talking about my mother the other day at the stables?” she asked in this weird monotone voice I had never heard before.

“Freddy, what are you doing to do? Are you going to kill yourself? Don’t! Where the hell did you even get that gun?”