Chapter Thirty-One

It was the day after my birthday. I was in my room, basking in the glory of turning seventeen, and I was ecstatic because today was the day that Taylor and I were going down to the lake together. It would just be the two of us because Jason, Ed, and Amy all had things to do, and Emma said that she would rather stay dry. 

At nine I began to pack my things for the day. I took my horse towel, a change of clothes, and then I slipped on my black bathing suit. When I got downstairs, Emma was waiting at the front door to see me off. 

“Have fun today,” she said softly.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?”

“I’m sure. Besides, I think you and Taylor need a little bit of alone time. And I know I call him names and criticize him most of the time, but he’s really a great guy. He’s perfect for you.”

“Thanks, Emma.”

I embraced her tightly, and then I was out the door and on my way to the stables. As I walked, I felt the warm breeze tickling my face and tossing around my hair. Today was a perfect day for swimming. 

When I finally arrived at the stables, Taylor was at the bottom of the driveway, leaning against a pick-up truck. He gave me a heart-melting smile as I dashed into his arms. Taylor planted sweet kisses all over my face and I gave a contented sigh. 

I released my grip around his neck and he set me down on my feet. Taylor looked deep into my eyes and then he pressed his lips to mine briefly. 

“Are you ready?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“Get in.” 

Taylor walked around to my side of the truck and opened my door for me. I thanked him with a smile and then climbed in. Taylor hopped in next to me and then started the car. We took one final look at each other, and then we began our trip to the lake.

“How far is it?” I said.

“Only about ten minutes. Not far. Hey, do you drive?”

I had just been thinking about that myself. I had never leaned to drive because there was no time to. Between taking care of Joanne, doing everything around the house, and keeping Billy as happy as I possibly could, free time was a rare luxury.

“No,” I replied. “I never had the time.”

“My mom nearly had a heart attack while teaching me. I kept putting my foot on the gas too hard and then slamming on the brakes.”

I laughed gently, thinking of how it would have been if my mom had given me driving lessons, not that she ever would, but it was a funny thought.

“I guess driving would’ve been more convenient for me when I had to take care of Joanne and everything, but I don’t think I could’ve afforded a car anyway.”

“You were…poor?” Taylor asked.

“We didn’t have to be. My mom and Tom wasted all their money on…never mind.”

“What? You can tell me, honey.”

“Drugs,” I finished.

We pulled up to a stoplight, and then Taylor leaned over and kissed my lips softly. 

“I’m sorry, Kayla,” he said right as the light turned green. 

“It’s not your fault.”

“I know.”

“I don’t want to get caught up talking about this, I’m sorry I even brought it up.”

“Kayla, it would take more than a lifetime to get over what you’ve been through. And whenever you need to talk about what happened to you, I’m here for you.”