Chapter Seven

In the morning, I was woken up by Lauren. I wondered what she was doing here, then I looked at the alarm clock, and it said seven. I raised an eyebrow, thinking it could be serious, but Lauren was smiling.

“There’s someone here to see you,” she whispered, not wanting to disturb Collie.

“Okay,” I said, still confused.

Lauren let me get dressed, and then she led me past the school building and down a hallway. We stopped at the last door that was titled Visitors’ Room. Lauren opened the door, and then we stepped inside.

“Oh, my God, Jackson!” I exclaimed.

“Kayla!”

Jackson rose from the chair to embrace me. I threw my arms around his neck, and he kissed my cheek. I smiled as he set me down on my feet.

Lauren unfortunately had to “supervise” my visit with Jackson, but that was okay. At least I still got to see him.

Jackson and I sat down at the little table in the middle of the room facing opposite of each other. He just kind of stared at me, and I knew he wasn’t here to ask if I wanted to be adopted by him. He was here to tell me that he couldn’t adopt me. 

“I missed you, Jack,” I said.

“I missed you. Are you doing all right? I’m so sorry, angel.” Jackson murmured, placing his hand on top of mine.

“I guess I’m all right. How are you doing?” 

“I’m fine, honey,” Jackson said softly, squeezing my hand.

“I need to get out of here,” I whispered.

“I know,” Jackson said. I knew what was coming next. “And…part of the reason I’m here is to tell you that I can’t give you a home. I don’t have the money, and I’m still trying to plan and pay for Billy’s funeral. I just…can’t take you in right now. I’m so sorry.”

Jackson leaned over to kiss my forehead. 

“It’s okay, Jackson. I’m not mad. I promise. I understand.”

“I have something that might cheer you up,” Jackson said. I knew what he had in store at me, and then I grinned. “How about a magic trick?”

Jackson was an expert magician. He had been doing magic tricks practically since the day he was born. He could do almost anything.

Jackson pulled out three coins from his pocket.

“Great, what are you going to do?” 

Jackson laughed because coins normally meant a simple but stunning trick. 

“Hold out your hand for me.” Jackson said. I did as I was told. 

'He placed two of the three coins in my hand. Then he closed his hand over the other coin for a few seconds, and when he opened up his hand again, the coin had vanished.

“Wow! How did you do that?!” I exclaimed.

“Babe, that’s not even half the trick yet.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Jackson just shook his head and smiled. 

“Now, I’m going to close my eyes, and I want you to put the two coins in either your left or your right hand. And don’t tell me.”

Jackson closed his eyes, and I put the two coins into my left hand. 

“Okay.”

“Good,” Jackson said as he opened his eyes. Then he studied both my hands. “I’m going to say…your left hand.”