Chapter Twenty-Three

The next morning, I woke up at six. I heard footsteps in the hallway and then someone knocked on my door.

“Who is it?” I asked.

“Freddy.”

“Come in,” I replied, sitting up.

Freddy came in, and then she sat down next to me on my bed.

“So, I heard you fell off Zaltana,” Freddy said.

“Yeah. But I still rode her, and I feel like I helped her and I helped myself.”

“That’s good. Really good. So, did you kiss Taylor before or after you rode Zaltana?”

I laughed.

“After,” I said.

“Where did you kiss him?”

“Hayloft.”

“How long was it?”

“I don’t know! Was I supposed to be counting?”

Freddy gave me a grin.

“I’m sorry I’m bugging you.”

“You’re not.”

“Well, Emma and Amy are already up, so we’re going to go the stables just as soon as you’re ready,” Freddy said.

“All right, but isn’t it a little bit early to be heading over to the stables.

“Jason apparently has breakfast for us at his house.”

“I’ll be ready in a sec.”

Freddy nodded, and then went downstairs. I headed into my bathroom to check on my knee and my elbow. As far as I could tell, the only cut that really hurt was my knee when I tried to walk on it.

I took the Band-Aid off of my elbow, and looked at it for a minute. It seemed to be smaller than I remembered it being, but it still looked pretty bad. I looked at it for a few more minutes, and then I moved to my knee.

I unwrapped it, and then I winced as I stared at it. My knee was completely covered by the cut and dry blood surrounded it. I wetted a wash cloth and cleaned it off, then I bandaged it with a clean gauze wrap. 

Then, throwing on some clothes and brushing my hair and teeth, I headed downstairs. Freddy, Emma, and Amy were waiting for me. Emma didn’t look too happy she was being forced to go to the stables.

The four of us hopped into Amy’s car and headed to the stables. Jason was standing outside.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hi, Jason,” Amy answered.

“Are you staying for breakfast?” Jason asked.

“I think I have time.”

Amy, Emma, and Freddy went ahead to Jason‘s house, but Jason stopped me so we could talk.

“Are you doing okay?”

“I’m fine, Jason. Really.”

“How did your cuts look this morning?”

“They were all right. Looking a little bit better, actually.” I said.

Taylor came out of the barn just then. We smiled at each other.

“Well, it’s good to hear that you’re okay. I’ll meet you at the house. Oh, and you might want to check on Zaltana just really quickly. She’s fine as far as I could tell, but she might need a little bit of attetnion.”