Chapter Sixteen

In the morning, Amy woke me up by nearly banging on my door. I reluctantly got out of bed, and then I let Amy into my room. She gave me sort of a worried look.

“What’s going on, Amy?” I asked.

“Well, it’s about your mother.”

“Great. What did she do this time?”

“Kayla, an officer called me last night, and he said that your mother wanted to see you,” Amy replied.

“You mean, like go down to visit her in prison.”

“You’ll be supervised by an officer at all times, but I understand if you don’t want to go.”

I did want to see my mom. Not because I wanted to check up on her to make sure she was doing all right, but because I wanted to tell her how much pain she had caused me, and how she had ruined my life. And with officers standing there, watching our every move, my mom couldn’t yell or do anything to me.

“I’ll go.”

“Kayla, according to the officer, your mom isn’t doing too well.”

“I don’t care. I want to see her.”

It was decided that on Thursday, Amy was going to drive me to my mom’s prison. It wasn’t that far from her house.

After Amy had left my room, I got dressed, and then went downstairs. Emma was in the living room, on the phone. Freddy was in the kitchen making pancakes.

“Hey,” I greeted.

“Hey. What did Amy want to talk to you about?”

“My mom wants me to come visit her in prison,” I replied.

Freddy dropped her spatula onto the counter. She picked it up quickly, and then just sort of shook her head.

“And, you agreed to go?”

“Yeah. Surprisingly, I did.”

“My mom never asked me to come see her,” Freddy said sadly.

“Freddy, it was probably for a good reason. Maybe she didn’t want you to see what it was like in prison.”

“That’s what I just keep telling myself.”

I went over to Freddy, and we embraced each other for a moment. Then, Freddy shrieked. She had let a pancake sit for too long in the pan.

“Here,” I said, bringing the trash can over to her.

“Thanks,” Freddy giggled. She threw away the pancake, and then, made another one. 

I helped her by setting the table, and then putting our breakfast on plates. Emma and Amy came into the kitchen right when Freddy and I were done preparing the pancakes. 

“Thanks so much for making us breakfast, Freddy,” Amy said as we all sat down at the table.

“No problem. Kayla helped, too.”

Amy gave me a smile, and then we all began to eat. But in the middle of the meal, Emma just got up and left. Amy apparently was working on a new strategy with her because she didn’t even looked up from her plate when Emma walked away.

“So, Jason called me, and said that he wanted us to come over on Friday this week because he needs help with mucking out stalls and organizing the tack room.”

“Cool,” I said.

“And, Jason also said that you can come over any day this week if you’re bored and need something to do. You just have to call him first.”