Chapter Fifteen

Jackson and I left his house at four-thirty to give us time to get to Amy’s in case there was traffic. I really didn’t want to leave Jackson, but I knew I would see him again. 

We arrived at Amy’s house at five-thirty. Freddy, Emma, and Amy were waiting for me. Jackson parked his truck and we hopped out. We gave each other a quick smile, and then I threw my arms around Jackson. He laughed softly and hugged me back so tightly.

“I love you, Jack,” I said softly.

“I love you, Kayla,” he answered.

“Bye.”

“Bye, sweetheart.”

Jackson gave me a kiss on my cheek, and then I watched and waited until he drove off out of sight. Freddy was suddenly beside me, and we put an arm around each other. She gave me a little squeeze, and then we walked back up the driveway to Amy and Emma.

“You all right?” Amy asked.

“Yeah. I’m okay.”

“Good.”

We all went inside then and Amy went into the kitchen. I apparently had arrived just at dinner time. We were having lasagna.

Freddy, Emma, and I went into the living room. We all sat down on the couch side by side. 

“How was it?” Freddy asked.

“It was just a little ceremony. Jackson and I were the only people who were there.”

“Why?” Emma said.

“The rest of Billy’s family is dead,” I replied.

“That’s horrible,” Freddy commented.

Emma just hung her head low and didn’t say a word. I wondered why. Maybe she felt a connection to Jackson because all of her family was dead, too. Hopefully, that wasn’t the case.

“I’m going to go up to my room,” Emma said with a shaky edge in her voice.

“But, Emma, dinner’s almost ready,” Freddy said.

“Whatever!” Emma nearly yelled as she ran to her room.

Freddy sighed and then looked at me.

“Did I say something?” I asked.

“No. And I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but…Emma’s family died in a house fire. She was the only survivor. It still effects her a lot.” Freddy replied, confirming my fears about Emma.

“Oh, my God. I didn’t know. I’m sorry.”

“Of course you didn’t, Kayla. Just give her awhile to calm down.”

“Girls, dinner’s ready!” Amy called from the kitchen.

“I hope Emma’s going to be okay.”

“She will be.”

Freddy and I headed to the table.

“Where’s Emma?” Amy asked.

“She got upset about something and she went to her room,” Freddy said.

“Well, she can come down when she’s ready. For now, let’s sit down and eat. I’m starving.”

Freddy, Amy, and I took our places at the table, and they began to eat, but I didn’t. I felt guilty and responsible for Emma feeling sad, even though I knew I had no idea about Emma’s family. I mean, I was just answering her question. 

“Are you not hungry, Kayla?” Freddy said..

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was just thinking.” I replied.