Chapter Twenty-One

The next day, Freddy and I returned to the stables. I was expecting Ed to help me lunge Zaltana today, but I was only sort of right. Ed met me at Zaltana’s stall with a bridle on. I smiled at him.

“We’re not riding today. I just want to see if I can put a bridle on her. We’re going to keep lunging until I feel…well, you and me both feel that it’s time to try to ride her.”

“All right.”

“So, bring Zaltana out of her stall, and then put her in the crossties.”

I went into Zaltana’s stall, and then I put her halter on and led her to the crossties. Ed handed me the bridle. I lifted it up to Zaltana’s face, but she raised her head.

“It’s okay. This won’t hurt a bit. I promise.”

I brought Zaltana’s head back down to my level. Then, I lifted the bridle up to her face. She opened her mouth, and then took the bit into it basically without a fuss. I gave her a stroke on her nose, and then I fastened the bridle the rest of the way. I turned back around to Ed and gave him a smile.

“Don’t get too excited, now. Just because you got a bridle on her don’t mean you can ride her.”

I didn’t care, though. Getting a bridle on Zaltana was a great thing in my mind.

“Good, girl,” I said, hugging Zaltana.

“all right, let’s go lunge her.”

I put Zaltana’s halter back on, and then I led her out to the arena. Then, I attached the lunge line and we began to train her.

The lunging went really well. Zaltana was nearly perfect. The only thing she did was not slow down at the canter once. But then after I told her again, she finally did. Ed seemed pleased with the training we did today. I could just tell, even though he didn’t say anything.

“When do you think I can ride her?” I asked Ed after I put Zaltana back into her stall.

“I don’t know. Dare I say, we’re getting close. You’ll probably be here tomorrow, right?”

“I think. I’m pretty sure Amy will let me come.”

“So, I was thinking tomorrow we’re going to walk Zaltana around with a bridle on. Just for a few minutes, and then we’ll keep training her with the lunge line.”

“That sounds good,” I said.

“Okay, Kayla. Well, I’ve got to go. So, I hope to see you tomorrow.”

“Bye, Ed.”

He came over and gave me a quick side hug.

“Bye, Kayla.”

Ed left, and then Jason came up to me.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hey. We haven’t talked in awhile.”

“We haven’t, have we?”

“So, how’s the training going?” Jason asked.

“Pretty well. Ed’s great.”

Jason chuckled softly.

“So, do you think you’ll be able to ride her soon?”

“I don’t know. Ed seems sort of hesitant to try it.”

“Yeah, well, he probably just doesn’t want to see you get hurt,” Jason said.

“I guess.”

Jason reached up to try to pet Zaltana, but just like before, she wouldn’t let him. Jason gave her a small smile.

“Well, if anybody’s going to be able to break through to this horse, it’s going to be you. She trusts you, Kayla. And trust is a big thing for a horse. Well, for anyone, really.”