Chapter 8

Roseanne
(Before she went into a coma)

I had to get away from it all. I sprinted into the woods and shifted into my grey wolf. I ran through the woods trying to clear my thoughts. I stopped my legs could not longer keep my up. I collapsed. I laid there staring into the dark.

I was the Luna now. I had so much on my shoulders now. Jayden had marked me. I was his permanently. I couldn't fall in love with anyone anymore. I belonged to him and he belonged to me.

I heard a twig snap. I turned an auburn wolf came to face me.
Who are you? I asked her.

Oh surely you know me I'm part of your pack after all. I knew who it was then.
Christina.

I backed away.

What do you want?

I want to make the Alpha pay.

Pay for what?

For killing my mate.

Before I could respond or think. She leapt towards me knocking me off balance. She clawed at my face. I snapped my snout at her causing her to get more angry. She clawed at me again. I howled in pain.

Roseanne! Are you alright? I heard Jayden say.

Jayden help me Christ- I began but Christina sank her teeth into my neck. I screamed in my head.

Roseanne! Roseanne answer me! I couldn't my mind was slipping away. She clawed at my chest again.

Then I seen him a massive black wolf. Hiding waiting but for what?

Jayden is that you? I said.

Yes which wolf are you? Before I could respond. Christina clawed at me one last time.

Everything went dark.

---------------------------------------------

Jayden

"A coma!" I said. No. No she can't be. My mate can't be. No I won't believe it I refuse to. "You're lying." I spat.
"I wish I was Alpha." Maria said. Roseanne was in a coma. There was no escaping this. No going back. This was all my fault. I wasn't careful enough. I started crying. My beautiful mate was in a coma. Could she hear me? I don't think so. I didn't care. I wanted her to open her beautiful brown eyes and kiss me. I wanted her to touch my cheek and tell me she was OK. I wanted her to tell me everything was going to be OK.

But it wasn't. Nothing was anymore. I didn't know if she would wake up or not. I needed my baby to wake up. I never wanted anything more. I wanted to reverse this whole night. Lyra was crying as well beside. Tears streaming down her cheeks. She was exactly like Roseanne. Alexandra was beside her a look of complete disbelief on her face.

"Alpha we have to get her back to the hospital." Maria said. I nodded. I picked Roseanne up in a bridal style and carried her back to the hospital. The last thing I wanted was to leave my mate. As we got into the hospital there was a lot of stares. I laid her down carefully on the white bed. I pulled up a chair to sit beside her. Maria came in. She didn't make eye contact with me. There was no point telling me to leave because I wouldn't.

I sat with my arm folded on the bed. I stared at Roseanne waiting for her long lashes to bat open. I waited for her small pink stained lips to move. Her skin was like ice when it was usually warm and soft. My ears stung my eyes. I felt as if I'd been submerged in water. My mind wasn't working properly. The details of the room and of Roseanne's face were becoming hard to see, the world was smearing together in full colours.

I stay there I don't know how long staring at the white sheets waiting for something, I don't what but I'm waiting. I couldn't look at her right now. Not when she had no colour in her cheeks, not when her beautiful brown eyes are glued shut. Not when she's not bursting with life. I squeeze her ice cold hand desperately hoping that she'll sit up. That she'll smile at me.

But it won't happened. She won't move. It could be worst she could be gone forever with no hope of returning. I remind myself. The thing is she could stay like this forever. She could never wake up. I refused to look up at her. I refused to remind myself that right now she didn't smile or frown. She didn't blush or even blink all she did was breathe and it was only barely.

I think I cried but I wasn't sure. I could hardly hear what was happening in the room. My eyes were glued to the white sheets. I wanted to look up. I wanted to see her full of life again but that wasn't going to happen not for a long time. Someone was touching me but I couldn't feel it. I hardly felt anything except Roseanne's ice cold hand.
"Jayden." Lyra's voice spoke softly in my ear.
"I'm sorry." I said. "I'm sorry I let her leave I'm sorry I wasn't more careful. I'm so sorry." I said still not looking up.

Lyra didn't respond she was crying I could barely hear her sobs. Man this was hard. I want to forget everything that has happened today. I want to start again. I want to start all over again. I don't want to be here crying as Roseanne slips further and further away from me. Lyra is still crying beside me. I pulled her into a hug. She cried into my shoulder.

"Jayden will she be okay?" she asked.
"I don't know." I said truthfully. She sobbed. I couldn't bare this anymore. I stood up dropping Roseanne's hand. I walked out the room. I couldn't really remember the journey back to my room. It was just smeared images of dull colours and people. I sat on the foot of the bed my face in my hands. I stood up. Anger replaced my grief. I went over to the mirror and punched it. I screamed with anger.

I feel to my knees unable to support my body anymore. I looked into the broken pieces of mirror. My eyes were red and bloodshot. I threw the piece of the mirror to the side. I needed her, I needed Roseanne.

----------------------------------------------

It was movement that kept my grief from taking over. I didn't visit her much. Her absence was noticed and felt. I felt like a massive hole had been punched through my chest and only Roseanne could heal it and now she wasn't here. She wasn't gone either but she was getting further from me everyday.

I took a deep breath before I stepped into the hospital bedroom. She was in the same position as she always was. Still. Her hand were folded over her stomach. I walked over and pulled up a chair. I still couldn't looms fright at her for very long.
"Roseanne I don't know if you can hear me but please wake up. I need you here. Come on baby. Please. We all need you. I need you." I could feel the tears stinging my eyes. "I love you."

I looked up at her. Her beauty was breath taking. She was mine. This beauty was mines and she was slipping away.
"I'm sorry Roseanne I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm sorry I didn't save you. I'm so sorry." I wept. Alexandra stood at the door. Her eyes were red and bloodshot.
"Hey," she said. I just nodded.
"It wasn't your fault you know she would have went for a run whether or not you wanted her to. She's too stubborn for her own good." Alexandra shook her head.

I couldn't make eye contact with her. She sat beside me.
"I hate seeing her like this," she muttered to herself.
"Me too." I croaked. She couldn't contain herself anymore. She burst into tears. I felt awkward and uncomfortable. I got up and dropped Roseanne's hand. I left.

I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I hit something hard. I looked up and gasped.